Self Portraits

squirrels

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally got a intervalometer. Set it up tonight and did some selfies. Results were a mixed bag with the OCF, setting focus point, model not cooperating, etc. My processing of the NEFs is kind of all over the place too.

The good news is that I learned that once the camera fires off every 10 seconds for a certain period of time, you don't really care that you are in front of the camera. Kind of like when you say a word too many times out loud and it loses meaning.

C&C?

Last edited:
I don't think my d3100 is cool enough to do that. It would be a real time saver if it did!

3 is a definite keeper. I would put this photo on my business cards.

I like #1 and #2 about equally. Nice goin'.

No 3 is fun and definitely a keeper, but no 2 is way more fascinating to me. It has that rare time machine effect - as if an older you looks at you today and asks: "Are you sure you know who you are?"
A very thought provoking shot, love it.

I really like #2. The lines you've captured running from your ear to shoulder to elbow and finally out of frame, plus the inverted vee of your leg make a dramatic image. My only nits would be not having some white on the outside edge of your eye socket and some excessive furrowing on your forehead. However, those two nits negate each other for the emotional angst we see on display. Hopefully it is just play for the camera. :hugs::

#3 is a fun shot. I'm guessing that shot will keep Mr. Squirrels in-check. :lol:

Fortunately I didn't have to add on a intervalometer because my cameras have it built-in, but yeah, really the way to go when doing selfies. For setting focus, I use a light stand with boom arm set to where my eye will be, zoom in with Live View to the end of the arm to nail and keep to manual focus mode. I usually set the aperture in the f/6.3 to f/11 to give me some wiggle room (also depends on the amount of lighting used).

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

You seem like a fun gal!

I should have waited to look at them in the light of day (and done little run through GIMP for blemish touch ups, etc) before posting them, but it surprisingly took a little more courage than I expected to post them so I thought I shouldn't stall. My thoughts in the light of day are:

1. Number 1 that the left eye kind of closed but not quite closed. Ew, sort of creepy. And I don't like the processing after all.

2 LOL, the rumpled forehead look may not be the most visually appealing. I kind of dig it anyway.

3 Still makes me laugh

Thanks frommrstomommy and Derrel!

3 is a definite keeper. I would put this photo on my business cards.
Ha! What kind of business are you in?! Thanks!

No 3 is fun and definitely a keeper, but no 2 is way more fascinating to me. It has that rare time machine effect - as if an older you looks at you today and asks: "Are you sure you know who you are?"
A very thought provoking shot, love it.

Wow. I love it. Thank you!

I really like #2. The lines you've captured running from your ear to shoulder to elbow and finally out of frame, plus the inverted vee of your leg make a dramatic image. My only nits would be not having some white on the outside edge of your eye socket and some excessive furrowing on your forehead. However, those two nits negate each other for the emotional angst we see on display. Hopefully it is just play for the camera. :hugs::

#3 is a fun shot. I'm guessing that shot will keep Mr. Squirrels in-check. :lol:

Fortunately I didn't have to add on a intervalometer because my cameras have it built-in, but yeah, really the way to go when doing selfies. For setting focus, I use a light stand with boom arm set to where my eye will be, zoom in with Live View to the end of the arm to nail and keep to manual focus mode. I usually set the aperture in the f/6.3 to f/11 to give me some wiggle room (also depends on the amount of lighting used).

Well done. Thanks for sharing.

Woohoo! I was thinking about your awesome self portraits as I was trying to pull these off. A light stand might be a good next step. The easel and woodworking clamp with bent coat hanger system was really more trouble than it was worth.:lol: Don't worry the angst in 2 was for the camera, and possibly in recovering from outtakes for shot three. That was rough on the equilibrium!

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll totally try this again once I get tethering down and maybe a better system to hold the gear.

Most reactions

Back