Selfie C&C

IronMaskDuval

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's my first in studio shoot, and it was a group shot of my in-laws. Anything with me in it was triggered by a rf shutter release. Let me know what I can do to improve. Thanks

This first one is a selfie with me and the wife.

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

2.jpg

C&C per req:

1. The mian issue I see is the crop of the arms at the bottom. Longitudinal crops are something that should be avoided at all costs. I think too, a bit of fill from camera left, 30-40 degrees might not have gone amiss.

2. The light isn't what I would call exciting, but I think for an image of this nature, it's appropriate. The gentleman in the red shirt is leaning a bit, but other than that, pretty good.

3. Nicely composed; I like the arrangement here, but your key light seems a bit hot, and judging by the shadow on the chair, your light was either too far away or insufficiently diffused. The image also seems to have a slight lean down to the right.

4. Nicely done and well lit. My only nits here are the arms being cropped longitudinally and the lady in the green shirt. Her hair needed straightening and she's pushing her face into the shoulder of the lady next too her; when doing this sort of pose, tell the subjects to just touch the shoulder, but NOT rest or press on it. THe lady with the blonde hair could stand to have her head turned just a little less, you've created some unflattering neck wrinkles.

For a first go, I'd say you've done very well. There are only a few very minor issues, and probably only things that another photographer would notice.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

C&C per req:

1. The mian issue I see is the crop of the arms at the bottom. Longitudinal crops are something that should be avoided at all costs. I think too, a bit of fill from camera left, 30-40 degrees might not have gone amiss.

2. The light isn't what I would call exciting, but I think for an image of this nature, it's appropriate. The gentleman in the red shirt is leaning a bit, but other than that, pretty good.

3. Nicely composed; I like the arrangement here, but your key light seems a bit hot, and judging by the shadow on the chair, your light was either too far away or insufficiently diffused. The image also seems to have a slight lean down to the right.

4. Nicely done and well lit. My only nits here are the arms being cropped longitudinally and the lady in the green shirt. Her hair needed straightening and she's pushing her face into the shoulder of the lady next too her; when doing this sort of pose, tell the subjects to just touch the shoulder, but NOT rest or press on it. THe lady with the blonde hair could stand to have her head turned just a little less, you've created some unflattering neck wrinkles.

For a first go, I'd say you've done very well. There are only a few very minor issues, and probably only things that another photographer would notice.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

As always, thank you for the C&C Tirediron. #2 and #3 was about the time that everyone started to get irritable and hungry. #4's regret for me are those unflattering neck wrinkles.

For a first shoot, pretty good. I kind of liked the one of the four ladies. The shot of you and your lady isn't too bad, but I wish her head height were a bit higher (half apple box higher). Again, this is better than many first-time shooters could ever hope to achieve.

For a first shoot, pretty good. I kind of liked the one of the four ladies. The shot of you and your lady isn't too bad, but I wish her head height were a bit higher (half apple box higher). Again, this is better than many first-time shooters could ever hope to achieve.

Thanks, Darrel. I only found out what an applebox was as I was wrapping up the shoot.

And here's another and last one from the shoot.

sisters.jpg

The only comment I'd really like to make, so I'm not repeating what's been said, is that in the shoots with the dark background you may have benefited from a background light (if possible). Separation of the hair/shoulders from the background would have done wonders for the look, IMO. Anyway, nicely done.

Most reactions

Back