Senior photos - need sone help/ideas please

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. Most of you know I am not a portrait photographer. But I am going to be taking some senior photos for my daughter who is graduating from high school this year. I was hoping people could share some of their favorite senior photos so I could look at the posing and get some ideas. Appreciate any help from anyone who is willing to share. Thanks!

I'll be following along as I've been asked to do my grandson's. One of the first questions I asked was formal or informal, in his case it will be both. For me the formal shot is the easiest with the lighting setup, and poses already in my head. The informal or life style shots I'm struggling with. You might have the advantage of closer knowledge of your daughters interests.

One of the ideas for the informal I plan on incorporating, will be some reference to the pandemic. I realize that may seem cliche, but the reality is it's something I've never seen in my lifetime and hopefully something my grandson will never see again in his.

Last edited:
How fun!! Seniors are some of my favorite subjects because they follow directions and also usually WANT their photos taken! I feel like leaning or sitting on something is one of the best ways to get them to relax and look natural. Also accessorize! She should have something she can fiddle with to create movement, long necklace, hat, jacket, etc. When are you doing the photos?

Today lol! Sort of a last minute plan because she has a half day of school and I have the day off Well... first round today at a local spot that has good backgrounds and then some at the beach later this weekend or tonight. I hate to start out mid day but we’re going start about 1 and then take a break and head back out towards Golden hour

Today lol! Sort of a last minute plan because she has a half day of school and I have the day off Well... first round today at a local spot that has good backgrounds and then some at the beach later this weekend or tonight. I hate to start out mid day but we’re going start about 1 and then take a break and head back out towards Golden hour
eek! today!! LOL well just fyi the beach will prob be your most challenging b/c its HARD to pose people "just standing there". Bring a stepstool so you can get some creative angles! I would say my number one tip I tell my clients, if your not comfortable, its going to look weird, get into a "pose" that feels natural. Then, talk to her, maker her laugh, if she has frozen smile, have her look at her feet, then shoulder, then back at you a few times. You can even have her do it a ridiculous 3/4 times in a row, she will be certain to bust out laughing :p

eek! today!! LOL well just fyi the beach will prob be your most challenging b/c its HARD to pose people "just standing there". Bring a stepstool so you can get some creative angles! I would say my number one tip I tell my clients, if your not comfortable, its going to look weird, get into a "pose" that feels natural. Then, talk to her, maker her laugh, if she has frozen smile, have her look at her feet, then shoulder, then back at you a few times. You can even have her do it a ridiculous 3/4 times in a row, she will be certain to bust out laughing :p

Great tips thanks! As for making her laugh, you must not have a teenage daughter yet. The mom is the most unfunny person on the planet. No matter how much everyone else appreciates the mom’s wry sense of humor, the teenage daughter will always find her stupid, embarrassing, and annoying.

One of my favorite photos from my daughter's wedding was one where the photographer climbed a step ladder and shot down on her sitting on the ground. @paigew made a very good suggestion with the angles.

@SquarePeg I took these of my... (idk what she is to me, husband's cousin's daughter?!) a couple years ago when we had a beach vacation.
paigewilks.com.jpg

I will definitely bring my stepladder and a stool and a blanket for her to sit on.

Great tips thanks! As for making her laugh, you must not have a teenage daughter yet. The mom is the most unfunny person on the planet. No matter how much everyone else appreciates the mom’s wry sense of humor, the teenage daughter will always find her stupid, embarrassing, and annoying.
I have a pre-teen...tween? SO not quite there yet! Honestly, I would have her bring a friend. Its amazing how much teens open up with a friend there!

Wow those are great and I love her clothing choices. I decided not to criticize my daughters clothing choices. I tried to make some suggestions. she likes tight clothes and I’m gonna have to try and work around that if I don’t want to start World War III.

Wow those are great and I love her clothing choices. I decided not to criticize my daughters clothing choices. I tried to make some suggestions. she likes tight clothes and I’m gonna have to try and work around that if I don’t want to start World War III.
Thank you!! I ALWAYS have teens bring 3 outfits. I save my fave outfit for the end when they are warmed up and "into" the session :)

Today went pretty well. OCF worked despite my ineptitude with it. I think I did good watching the backgrounds and getting good focus on the eyes. It was hotter than expected and we decided to wrap up after about 90 minutes and 1 outfit change.My posing was awful. Good thing these kids spend a lot of time looking at themselves on their phones. Here’s the one I’ve edited so far. I’ll post more later this weekend. I’m tired. No more editing for me tonight.

2018A0AD-E7D6-475B-BFC9-9E8627A2A239.jpeg

This is a Facebook download since I haven’t loaded this on my phone yet. Hope it’s not too low res.

What lenses do you have? On full frame my go to is 85mm f 1.8 or the 70-200 2.8 but there are others who can offer their perspectives on glass.

For me it is about lens selection. I never shoot flash. I probably don't have a lot to offer. My "portraits" are usually candids taken at various functions. So many variables.

Most reactions

Back