Senior Portrait Shoot Coming Up. need a little help

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So today at work, I was approached by a coworker who asked if I did photography and I said yes. She then asked if I would do her senior pictures. I said yes and that I would do them for free. She is new to the area so I'm going to take pictures of some places to shoot. But she said she might want some formal type shots. Right now I just have a d40 with a sb600. I have a little time to get ready for it (after spring break) but I want to get something that will help me out with the shots.

So far I am trying to decide between

another flash and some triggers possibly a soft box or 2

50mm lens

or a longer lens

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to get her the best shots I can, but I am doing them for free so I don't waste her money if they come out badly. Another question, Should I just give them the pictures on a disk? Or get prints made?

Thanks

So today at work, I was approached by a coworker who asked if I did photography and I said yes. She then asked if I would do her senior pictures. I said yes and that I would do them for free. She is new to the area so I'm going to take pictures of some places to shoot. But she said she might want some formal type shots. Right now I just have a d40 with a sb600. I have a little time to get ready for it (after spring break) but I want to get something that will help me out with the shots.

So far I am trying to decide between

another flash and some triggers possibly a soft box or 2

50mm lens

or a longer lens

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to get her the best shots I can, but I am doing them for free so I don't waste her money if they come out badly. Another question, Should I just give them the pictures on a disk? Or get prints made?

Thanks

You could easily do it with what you have now. And im a firm believer that your better off just shooting with a simple setup that you can fully understand and operate, then the nicest rig and complex equipment that you dont understand. It takes around 6 months to a year of constant shooting to really understand off camera flash, took me a year. And until i had it down ALL my shots looked worse then if i just ambient. So if you want you can head down that road, but dont expect to be ready to use it for the shoot. Getting a longer lens is actually a good idea, it will help with portraits, especially half body/headshots. The longer the lens the easier it is to through the background out of focus. If you want quality and sharpness on the cheap i head the 55-200mm is great.

In the mean time the BEST thing you can do is practice practice practice.

I have been practicing a whole lot haha. But I know what you mean. The only thing I want off camera lighting is that I don't have much space/ambient lighting indoors. I might have to get my mom to let me use a room in the town hall lol. I'm hoping they just want some basic head and shoulder shots. But I might be able to make something happen if she wants full body. I'm really pulling for her to want to do a lot of them outside. I think I am going to make some reflectors (im cheap haha) and look into a longer lens. I am waiting for my employee discount to kick in (Best Buy) lol. Thing is though, I shoot a lot of bands and actually wanted a shorter lens like a 28mm lol. Idk, I will probably get both eventually. But I'm hoping if this shoot goes well, she tells her friends and stuff haha

Flash through a diffuser from top right of subject, a reflector to the left. Fire away.

Give them a free sitting fee, but charge for prints. Honestly, don't even start off for free. Also make sure you make them sign model releases to include in a portfolio for future reference.

At least one light and an umbrella would be ideal. Zack Arias has a whole workshop dedicated to using one light.

The problem is, if you shoot indoors in ambient, you're most likely going to have flat unflattering lighting. If you shoot outdoors in ambeint, you're going to be limited to the times of day and the locations you can shoot.

And most senior sessions include full body shots. The creative ones use great locations and lighting.

If I were you, I would have offered to shoot photos for your practice that she could have. Offering up a senior portrait session makes it sound like you're going to deliver exactly what she wants.

Give them a free sitting fee, but charge for prints. Honestly, don't even start off for free. Also make sure you make them sign model releases to include in a portfolio for future reference.

TFP would be his best bet. It's hard to tell some one you're going to charge if you don't know if you can even deliver.

The reason I offered to do them for free is because I don't know how they shoot will go. I don't want to charge them her if I suck lol. I don't mind doing it for her for free. She's a coworker and kind of a friend. It will be good practice. I think they would benefit more from getting the pictures on a disk, then they can print how much they want. In the future, I will probably charge if they come out good.

I did tell her I have never done them before so I tried not to set her expectations too high. I was going to try a 2 day shoot at different locations possibly. Maybe 2 locations a day depending on the light.

Why don't you take your co-worker out on a day of test shooting. That way, you will get your practice and she will get her assurance that the pictures will turn out the way she wants it to. If you are doing this for free, I don"t see a problem why she won't help you by being a test subject before the final shoot. Good Luck.

I see where your coming from. But I think if I get a good outcome, I should know why lol. Idk if she would be ok with a test shoot we both work and she goes to school so it might be a little tough. I was going to practice with some friends then show her my work. I have a month or two to figure stuff out. I am asking for a longer lens for my bday. Probably a 55-200mm. But I still kind of want lighting

Word! At least charge for the prints.... That's generally what I do when people ask for gigs, I don't charge for the time, but I charge a very small amount for the prints... That way, when she does tell her friends it won't be "oh, I found a freebie"...IMHO

For getting new lenses and gear I generally get it as I need it. Go with what you'll need for the time being and then when something else comes up, get another...:)

True, but I might be able to ask her to just say she got them done cheap lol. I know when I got my senior pics done, it was hard to guess how many prints i needed and I ended up with too many thus wasting money, i think I will just offer both me getting prints made or giving them a cd. I have never used a model release before. Should I still use them if I ask her if I can use them in my portfolio?

Actually, I agree: TFP/TFCD is the best way in this situation.

Get a brief contract written up and signed, get a model release in there as well. Yes, you need the model release just in case, even if it's your best friend in the whole wide world. Especially, though, if it's not. Google for one if you can't find it.

(note; TFP/TFCD - time for prints/CD.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back