Sensor Cleaning

Sensors are pretty durable,

I believe this is correct. I had always thought the actual sensor is exposed but then I started looking into astrophotography and options for removing the IR filter. I believe what we are actually cleaning is the IR filter that sits over the sensor itself.

I'll agree with the others, it sounds like some oil or something, probably welded some dust or junk right to it. Wet cleaning always works for me, I use the Photographic Solutions Sensor Swabs and the Eclipse fluid. I've seen some stubborn stuff for sure, but it usually comes clean after a few passes.

Thom Hogan has mentioned a detergent based cleaning for oil spots.

I've found a camera repair shop about 200 miles from me that seems to have a good reputation. I'm still waiting to see for sure, but it looks like I'll be near there Friday for a meeting. If that comes to pass they said they could clean it for me while I wait.

Quick update. Had an early morning meeting, in the same town as the repair shop I found. Went by and they were able to clean the spots. They first tried the same thing I had used, no luck. Then they used this ROR Residual Oil Remover (1.0 oz) One swipe spots gone.

Awesome that they could get it cleaned. I have not made up my mind yet about whether or not I want to touch the sensor in my camera. Do shops make you sign a waiver?

Interesting, I have used it on lenses in the past but never a sensor. I wonder if the solution is filtered as to remove any crystalline formations that could potentially scratch the sensor coating?

Happy to hear it all worked out for you.

Awesome that they could get it cleaned. I have not made up my mind yet about whether or not I want to touch the sensor in my camera. Do shops make you sign a waiver?
It's not difficult but best to use the proper tools and judicious techniques to avoid any mishaps. Optical magnifiers are a huge benefit and make sure you clean the mirror/sensor box before you do your cleaning otherwise you could just dislodge other debris which always seems to find its way onto the freshly cleaned sensor.;)

Sensor cleaning is something I'm guilty of not doing often enough. I noticed on some recent pic I took that there are several 'dust bunnies' present so the sensor needs attending to. When I have done it in the past, I've used a blower, swabs or simply my finger.o_O

@Mike Drone no waiver at this shop. The sensors, I found out, are a lot more durable then you'd think. Using the wet kit mentioned above was a breeze. The issue was the cleaning fluid I was using does not work on oil or grease.

@JBPhotog I didn't ask that question before he had already used it, but he claimed it was the go to when the other fluid didn't work. As it's rated safe for lenses, I would assume it was.

It's my understanding that there is either plain glass, IR filter, or anti-aliasing filter in front of the sensor, which is what you're actually cleaning.

I have the same Delkin sensor scope that the camera shop has SensorScope - Delkin Devices works great. Even though it appears that it was grease or possible oil, it's important to understand that it was small enough that it couldn't be seen with the naked eye. It was only visible by using the scope, or taking a test image and blowing it up. I'm still convinced that they've been there from the start, but I just didn't notice them until now.

Last edited:
I also use a magnifier, mine is the Visible Dust Sensor Loupe, 7x with 6 bright L.E.D.'s surrounding the lens. With the 6 L.E.D.'s they cast 6 shadows around any particulate matter on the surface of the sensor glass making them easy to see. Quite frankly, I don't know how anyone could properly see teeny tiny spots without some form of magnification.

Visible Dust makes a new model that will take filters and lens hoods, Quasar Plus Sensor Loupe 7X Magnifier Improved Focusing System | Sensor and digital camera cleaning products

@JBPhotog sounds very similar to the Delkin Scope. I had no problem seeing the spots with it.

@Derrel yup the stash is getting low anyhow. Need to make a run to restock.

Most reactions

Back