Sensor Cleaning

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have 3-4 spots on the sensor of my K1MII. With the closest repair shop 2 hrs away, and not overly thrilled with shipping I'm between a rock and hard spot. I first tried a blower, then the Pentax recommended Goo stick, and finally a wet clean kit. Have also performed pixel mapping. Nothing seems to faze them.

I can see them with a sensor scope, but can't tell if it's dust, stain or grease/oil. Anyone have any ideas?

If they've lasted through all that, then I would guess oil spots; dust proper isn't usually all that tenacious. I would repeat the wet clean and/or try a different wet clean kit. The last time I had to wet clean I think I had to do it three times before I was happy with it. Can you tell if the spots have changed at all since you started cleaning?

If they've lasted through all that, then I would guess oil spots; dust proper isn't usually all that tenacious. I would repeat the wet clean and/or try a different wet clean kit. The last time I had to wet clean I think I had to do it three times before I was happy with it. Can you tell if the spots have changed at all since you started cleaning?

Maybe??? I've done three wet cleaning attempts so far. Bought a sensor scope which lets me also confirm there is something on the sensor, but can't tell for sure what it is. It's not difficult to fix post if they even show, up, but it's the fact that they're there that really bugs me.

I watched one video where a guy was using small round sterile swaps and a tiny bit of distilled water. He was really scrubbing small areas.

Sensors are pretty durable, so you can safely put some 'elbow grease' into it if you need to, but if you've already done three wet cleanings, there should be some signs of progress, Assuming it is oil, if you can get 100% isopropanol alcohol I would be more inclined to try that than water. Can you find anything on-line about similar issues with that body?

Sensors are pretty durable, so you can safely put some 'elbow grease' into it if you need to, but if you've already done three wet cleanings, there should be some signs of progress, Assuming it is oil, if you can get 100% isopropanol alcohol I would be more inclined to try that than water. Can you find anything on-line about similar issues with that body?

Not really. Also at this point I'm not certain how long they've been there. They could have been there since it was new, and just didn't notice them. Kinda like "once you see something you can't unsee it" LOL

The closest repair shop is Atlanta which "supposedly" uses Denatured Alcohol, some type of small sterile swabs. I have some high proof moonshine, wonder if that might work? If it didn't then I could drink enough that I wouldn't care about the spots? :allteeth:

I would pursue the moonshine avenue (drinking it, that is).

I use the ULEAD system and found it works nicely where others don't.

Pentax recommended method is the O-ICK1 gel stick, which is the same thing. That's what I first tried. It works to a point (will remove surface dust) but doesn't remove spots or stains.

I had this issue with a D7200 years ago and finally had to send it back to Nikon for a mirror replacement. I've used the dealer in Atlanta but was able to take it in and wait as my daughter lives not far from there. They do good work and are reasonably priced.

I had this issue with a D7200 years ago and finally had to send it back to Nikon for a mirror replacement. I've used the dealer in Atlanta but was able to take it in and wait as my daughter lives not far from there. They do good work and are reasonably priced.

Peachtree Camera?? I've talked to them, they can do it while you wait. Depending on traffic I'm about 2hrs away one way. There is another shop in Auburn, AL (Camergraphics) that is getting good reviews and will also do it while you wait. I expect to be in Auburn sometime in the next few weeks, so will likely try them.

What wet cleaning products did you use?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back