Sensor Housekeeping

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I unfortunately was following the out of sight, out of mind method of checking for/cleaning dust from sensor.

Out of curiosity what's the routine used by others in checking/cleanung?

I hit the 'Clean Sensor' menu option every second or third time I'm out, other than that, I don't think about it 'til I see issues on my images.

I hit the 'Clean Sensor' menu option every second or third time I'm out, other than that, I don't think about it 'til I see issues on my images.

Really??? I've not cleaned since I got the body (Over a year):02.47-tranquillity: I erroneously assumed a weather sealed body and lens would prevent intrusion, and I've always been careful when and where I've changed lenses. Obviously I was wrong.

Weather resistant sealing, not weather proof.
Lens need to 'breath', zoom lenses especially, and also cannot be completely sealed.

When I've sent camera bodies to Nikon for repair or yearly clean and lube service is the only time the image sensors in my DSLR camera bodies have been cleaned - if Nikon actually clean the image sensors.

Last edited:
TBH, I have no idea whether or not I need to use the built-in cleaning function as often as I do, it's more just a habit. That said, I do spend a LOT of time in less than stellar conditions, and often have to change lenses in inclement weather, so it's likely my sensors see more debris than many.

My sensor cleaning is automatic every time I turn on the camera, so never worry about it.

Weather resistant sealing, not weather proof.
Lens need to 'breath, zoom lenses especially, and also cannot be completely sealed.

When I've sent camera bodies to Nikon for repair or yearly clean and lube service is the only time the image sensors in my DSLR camera bodies have been cleaned - if Nikon actually clean the image sensors.

You bring up a valid point that I hadn't considered. Obviously there has to be air exchange or a zoom wouldn't move

I clean my sensor if I see spots.

You can take a test shot to check for dust if your eyes aren't good enough to just see it on the sensor.

Smallest aperture your lens can do
Lowest ISO your camera can do
Take a photo of the sky or a light background, out of focus
Dust spots will be dark and sharp (compared to dust on the lens, or on the sensor under normal shooting conditions)

I clean it if I see something. I confirm shooting a blank white paper or wall. I've done mine a couple times, 1 x on the xt2, one on the xpro2.

Top rack of the dishwasher - be sure to use "Jet Dry." :345:

I bought a sensor cleaning kit - wand with wipes, cleaning fluid, lighted magnifier. If the built-in "dust off" function, or a rocket blower doesn't work, I hit it with the pad.

I forgot what brand I have now, but I wasn't found of the Eclipse pre-moistened swabs. It left a film -- which made the sensor worse.

Like others I have my Nikon cameras set to vibrate (clean) the sensor each time I turn the camera on.

Plus, I don't often use a lens aperture so small that dust bunnies could be visible in images.

Top rack of the dishwasher - be sure to use "Jet Dry." :345:

Guess that would also let me determine how good the weather sealing is on Pentax :aiwebs_016:

Most reactions

Back