Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Alright, so I've had an idea in my head for a while now that just won't go away. It's a big project, with lots of work, requiring lots of motivation, but I think if I can find a way to pull it off it will be something I can be really proud of.

Ok...I live in a very small town (pop. 1000)...it's very nice little farming community, with a pretty good feeling of 'togetherness' I guess. One thing I always enjoy is going into some of the businesses that have old pictures of the town hanging on the walls. The bank has several large pictures of schools, churches, and businesses from 60, 70 years ago or more. My idea is this:

I want to take a large collection of pictures from people and places around town...major events, employees at work in the businesses, things like that. (I have it all planned out in my head, and I can't really explain it to sound as good as it looks in my head, if that makes sense! :lol: )...And put it all together in a book, along with captions, and maybe little blurbs from or about townspeople, and about events and such. But...I have no idea if such a thing (done by one person) is feasible. Would I be able to find a place that would print something like this at a decent price? Would I be able to have them made to order, or would I have to order a large bulk and hope they all sell? I'm guessing if I plan to selll the books, even if it is just here in town, I'll have to have model releases from each and every person I photograph? Does this sound like a totally stupid idea? Does anyone have any tips or ideas or anything that can point me in the right direction?

I would like some serious input on this, if you could. I really appreciate it.

It sounds like a good idea to me.

I've seen similar books but they tend be more historical in nature. Usually full of old photographs and old stories. In that case, the author is mostly gathering images rather than making them...so it's not really the same as your idea.

Thanks Mike...I am having trouble finding a place that prints color cafe press looked perfect til I found the spot where it said the cover is full color and the contents are black and white.

Hello,

As far as publishing goes, you could try self publishing with a "print on demand" service like http://www.lulu.com. Basically, you put the book together on your computer and email it to them; then they print it to order. You can either set the price to cover the printing costs or make a profit. I have a photo book published through them - Rangefinder Photography, 25 Photographers, 1 Passion - and the quality is excellent.

Hope this helps. Sounds like a worthwhile project.:thumbup:

F. Duddy

quick thought, check your local history museum (if you can find one) I have seen very small farming comunities with them. Possibly if theres a larger town near by there may be one there. they probably have most of those photos on record. I belive thats what some larger resturant chains do when they enter new towns, you go in them and they have all these old photos of the town there in.
I would say check that out, then add to them with local buisness photos possibly photos from families in the area that have been there for years.
Also I am sure you will need releases signed from the photographers that originally took the photos or there estates also probably model releases. There might be some law if the pics are so old you dont need the model release becase the models are dead. I dont believe you need model releases if the pics are taken in public.
good luck!

df3photo said:
quick thought, check your local history museum (if you can find one) I have seen very small farming comunities with them. Possibly if theres a larger town near by there may be one there. they probably have most of those photos on record. I belive thats what some larger resturant chains do when they enter new towns, you go in them and they have all these old photos of the town there in.
I would say check that out, then add to them with local buisness photos possibly photos from families in the area that have been there for years.
Also I am sure you will need releases signed from the photographers that originally took the photos or there estates also probably model releases. There might be some law if the pics are so old you dont need the model release becase the models are dead. I dont believe you need model releases if the pics are taken in public.
good luck!

Thanks, but I plan to TAKE all these photos, so years from now people will think of MY photos the way I think of those. As for the print on demand....everything I've found so far has been color cover, but only black and white inside...so if anyone knows of anything that does full cover, that would be great. (I have not checked out that lulu.com yet, but will as soon as I get a chance.) Thanks for the advice, and I'm still open to anymore suggestions/ideas. :)

Very cool idea Cory. I think any small town could benefit from this kind of work. I like this, especially with your original slant on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back