What's new

Serious work gets done here.

runnah

Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Oct 16, 2012
Messages
14,632
Reaction score
7,563
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a work bench that has seen a lot of action. Thoughts on the processing?


WorkBench by runnah555, on Flickr
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #2
Bump
 
Well, the workbench can use some tweaking... And cleaning... and decluttering...

Is that what you wanted to know? ;)
 
I like the grungy feel to it.:thumbup:
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
Well, the workbench can use some tweaking... And cleaning... and decluttering...

Is that what you wanted to know? ;)

Not my bench! Mine is is clean you could operate on it.
 
Not going to put you on the spot and ask you to prove it. But you do come across as a clean-workbench kinda guy...
As for the processing, the end result looks suitably grimy in a clear kind of way. Seriously, tho, I think the machinist hammer has some nice shading around it lying on the work rag. If you have access to the shop, I'd consider exploring that and the anvil behind it as a simplified image.
 
I think the processing works well for this type of environment.
 
It's weirdly fashion-y. The vignette seems a little heavy, the pop of color doesn't need that much help, to my eye.

The overall look of the thing is pretty awesome. This gritty look is weird and incongruous applied to vacant-eyed models, but works very very well here.
 
The processing works, but I'm not sure the framing does. To me it seems that too much is included on the right. As in your other image I commented on, I don't know what's beyond the frame so I can't speculate on expanding it elsewhere, but I'd enjoy it more cropped on the right almost up to that outlet near the bottom. Doing that would make it sort of a circular composition where there is interesting stuff around the periphery that keeps one's eye moving around the image.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #10
It's weirdly fashion-y. The vignette seems a little heavy, the pop of color doesn't need that much help, to my eye.

The overall look of the thing is pretty awesome. This gritty look is weird and incongruous applied to vacant-eyed models, but works very very well here.

Thanks. My choice on the vignette was to make it appear darker than it really was and give it a more intimate feel. The room had banks and banks of flouresent lighting that really harshed the scene.
 
There are many photos within your main image.... closeups ....I do like the grunge processing
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #12
There are many photos within your main image.... closeups ....I do like the grunge processing

Yeah I could spend all day in this particular shop, but I already was annoying the craftsmen.
 
I love it. I served my apprenticeship in an old style machine shop, and frequently thought true shapes, textures and colours there were something of wonder. I think you've captured the feeling really well, I can almost smell the grease, oil and metal. Takes me right back with a good dose of nostalgia.

If any of you guys have not seen guys seriously turning steel, it produces loads of evaporation of the coolant looking like smoke, while the steel off cuts can turn a fantastic blue with the heat of friction during the cut and looks like springs.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom