Setting up a home studio?

NikkiP77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Dear PhotoForum,

I want to make a studio at home so I can photograph paintings for print, mostly 100x80cm. The prints need to be very professional, and should be around 100x80cm also. The technique used for the paintings is oil on canvas. Photographing the paintings can be tricky, because the oil can reflect a lot sometimes.

I have a Canon Eos 550D camera and a tripod, as well as a 2x2m space next to a window. Here's a pic:

http://s13.postimg.org/kwl6dy1xz/IMG_20150301_172336806.jpg

My question is: What equipment do I need (f.e. softboxes), and which one should I buy? I don't have a lot of money atm, so cheap is good, as long as I can still make high quality photographs with it.

Thank you in advance,
Kind Regards,
Nikki

I suggest two large softboxes, one on each side.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, thank you very much for the answers, but which softboxes do I get?

I was thinking of either buying two of these (60x40cm, 55W lamp):

Alu Fotostudio Studioleuchte Foto Studio Leuchte Profi Amazon.de Elektronik

Or this set of 2 (70x50cm, 125W lamp):

RPGT 125 W Ein Paar 50 x 70 cm Soft Box Set Studioleuchte Softbox Fotolampe with 2m Lampenstativ Tripod Amazon.de Elektronik

Neither are dimmable, is that a problem?
Either of these would work. The difference in price may be an indicator of quality differences, but be sure to analyze the differences before ordering.

The CFL (compact fluorescent lights) will provide enough light, but make sure to capture the RAW file and always check for proper white balance.

The lights not being dim-able is not a problem for the task at hand, just adjust your settings for proper exposure.

BTW: those lights might not be enough light for portraiture, if that should ever become a project.

Neither are dimmable, is that a problem?
You can essentially slowly increase your shutter speed as your Dimming function.

Most people here use flash/strobes for everything. continuous lighting is really cheap to get into and is very limited. Some of the CFL heads hold a half dozen bulbs and more to try and give proper lighting. At the price of cheap Yongnuo flashes, etc looking down the road flashes are cheaper, in a way. With the larger diffusers you need the light output to fill them. A single CFL bulb might not do that .. but I only tested CFL for a short time before getting a flash so YMMV.

Photographing paintings (or any flat artwork), even when they are glossy, is pretty simple once you know how to do it. As AstroNikon suggested, the book 'Light: Science & Magic', is the best resource here.

I think some sheets of polarizing material might be helpful, to place in front of the lights themselves. This can be found at the largest photographic supply dealers.Rosco Polarizing 7300 Filter - 17x20 101073001720 B H

Add a polarizing filter over the camera lens itself, and you should be able to suppress any unwanted reflections off of even highly glossy oil painting surface areas.

to add to the above, I suggest you buy this book to understand about light, angles and such ==> Light Science and Magic An Introduction to Photographic Lighting Fil Hunter Steven Biver Paul Fuqua 9780240812250 Amazon.com Books

also, when you get your lights, you'll want to cover up and block the windows completely. Otherwise you'll have a mix of light from your lights and various sunlight. which could cause WhiteBalance issues.
Great recommendation on Light Science & Magic, but I'd wait another week before buying. A new revision is going to be released on March 18, 2015 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415719402/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to add to the above, I suggest you buy this book to understand about light, angles and such ==> Light Science and Magic An Introduction to Photographic Lighting Fil Hunter Steven Biver Paul Fuqua 9780240812250 Amazon.com Books

also, when you get your lights, you'll want to cover up and block the windows completely. Otherwise you'll have a mix of light from your lights and various sunlight. which could cause WhiteBalance issues.
Great recommendation on Light Science & Magic, but I'd wait another week before buying. A new revision is going to be released on March 18, 2015 Light Science Magic An Introduction to Photographic Lighting Fil Hunter Steven Biver Paul Fuqua 9780415719407 Amazon.com Books
It's cool to see a new version is coming out, but i wouldn't wait on that accord.

Light doesn't change, so the relevant sections in the older addition will still be good advice.

That being said i may buy the new addition on top of the old one. :)

Most reactions

Back