Share your best nature documentaries

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a love for nature documentaries. But I also have a few criteria for them to be called "great documentaries". I have watched several of National Geographic's nature documentaries, and often find the narrator cheesy and overly dramatic, as if they are trying too hard (much like a bad actor). I really do not like that. Examples of these are NG's "Secret Yosemite" and "Climbing Redwood Giants".

I want the nature and wildlife to be the main attraction, not people climbing mountains or people going on epic journeys of self-exploration IN the nature. See what I mean? Examples of (what I consider) great nature documentaries are BBC's "Planet Earth" and "Nature's Great Events". David Attenborough might be a key word, but I'm running out of shows.

I also appreciate them to be available in High Definition, but that is secondary; content is the most important. For example, DisneyNature made a program called "Wings of Life". I was not able to watch the entire thing. The narration was so far off from what I can take. The time-lapses, images, and HD video were stunning, though.

So, does anyone have any nature documentaries to recommend? Maybe more people will get something out of this thread as well :) After all, there are many landscape photographers here, and I suspect they enjoy nature :)

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
The lion king.

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
All the BBC/Discovery stuff. Mostly cause of the cinematography.

GaryT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
There was a doc the bbc done a while back about penguins. They used cameras in fake eggs and robotic penguins!!! Give it a watch if you can find it, one of the best nature programmes I have seen in a good while.

Penguins - Spy in the huddle. It was called

Overread

has a hat around here somewhere
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Photos OK to edit
National Geographic set a very high standard with their magazine - a standard that their video productions don't even try to come close to; heck I'm actually shocked that they put the NG name onto some of their documentaries as they are often very childish or cheap.

BBC has always set a very strong standard for wildlife documentaries; not just for the quality of production and the information, but because they also very strongly use the video aspect as part of the show; they build visual talent into the work so its not just a narrator talking, its showing us something fantastic using some very innovative ideas and setups.
They also use lots of spy gear - from following elephants to polar bears to bugs with spy and attached cameras.

480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
My best Nature Documentaries don't involve the Boob Tube........ it involves being there.

runnah

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
National Geographic set a very high standard with their magazine - a standard that their video productions don't even try to come close to; heck I'm actually shocked that they put the NG name onto some of their documentaries as they are often very childish or cheap.

BBC has always set a very strong standard for wildlife documentaries; not just for the quality of production and the information, but because they also very strongly use the video aspect as part of the show; they build visual talent into the work so its not just a narrator talking, its showing us something fantastic using some very innovative ideas and setups.
They also use lots of spy gear - from following elephants to polar bears to bugs with spy and attached cameras.

If it doesn't have Attenborough it's crap!

rexbobcat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

I love BBC documentaries. They did the Planet Earth video series didn't they? There are so many incredible shots in that documentary series - it's pretty awesome.

Most reactions

ClickASnap