Sharing a little success....and a question

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very new to the business, and I have finally had my first "real" order! I often have clients order a CD of the images, but with my latest grad session, I had 2 - 16x20 prints, 48 wallets, and 15 5x7 prints, and 2 coffee table style albums.

Just wondering if you guys give any price breaks after they spend x amount of dollars? I always am wanting to give things away...but I know that wont make me any money.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Kristal

Depends. How much was the sale for all that stuff?

/edit

Ok, so I just checked your website and your prices. I was originally going to say that if the sale wasn't close to or over $1000, then your prices are too low.

Your prices are too low.

/edit 2

To answer your question, I would give price breaks or throw in a freebie, if they spent a lot of money. Spending $200 or so isn't a lot of money.

Hey Kristal:

Congratulations on your first order... now you can concentrate on your second!

Don't give things away just to be nice... and don't give a straight dollar discount. But it's fine to say, "If you spend $XXX with me, I'll throw in a free XXX."

Good luck.

Until they are over $1000 I would not throw anything in, but be sure to package the photos well.

Do not just put them in a bag. We tend to get nice boxes printed and wrap the pictures in tissue paper and put a custom hand written note on each order.

This also gives a sense of completion to you and your customer and creates a sense of occasion when they get to open it.

We had one family tell all thier friends not just because they liked the pictures but also because they liked the way we package things.

Thanks for the responses. Please note is wasnt my first order, just the largest one to date from a single customer.

As of July 1st, all of my prices are going up. My website is just undergoing a little facelift right now, and the new prices will be relected then.

As for presentation, I package all my prints in handmade paper bags (think very upscale gift bags) that have made with my mom. All the prints are in cellophane bags with a sticker with my logo to close them. Then the tissue paper, and a business card that has a eyelet hole which is threaded through the satin handles. Each bag is picked specifficaly to coordinate with the photos as well.

Thanks again for the $1000 benchmark idea. When someone reaches that level of sales, what is an appropriate discount?

Thanks for the responses. Please note is wasnt my first order, just the largest one to date from a single customer.

As of July 1st, all of my prices are going up. My website is just undergoing a little facelift right now, and the new prices will be relected then.

As for presentation, I package all my prints in handmade paper bags (think very upscale gift bags) that have made with my mom. All the prints are in cellophane bags with a sticker with my logo to close them. Then the tissue paper, and a business card that has a eyelet hole which is threaded through the satin handles. Each bag is picked specifficaly to coordinate with the photos as well.

Thanks again for the $1000 benchmark idea. When someone reaches that level of sales, what is an appropriate discount?

I wouldn't discount. I'd throw in a freebie. "X valued at $Y...".

Like an additional print? a disk of images? just trying to figure out an approriate value. I know it hard cause everyone is different, just seeing if there is any "standard" amount.

----

This really comes at a great time too. I was very worried about what business I might get, as a local photographer (often known as "the" photographer in town) just released a grad special:

1.5 hour shoot, 2 8x10's, high res CD of images - all for $75.

He would be working for less than minimum wage...

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back