What's new

she and her kitchen...

The highlights are handled really well in this; her face is just slightly lighter than the light areas in the background. There is a bit of a halo around her nose, but that looks like an artifact from going through Flickr.
I'm glad you noticed about highlights :) and about nose... haven't done anything there, it must be flickr
Nice. It looks like she spends a lot of time in that chair.
you should read all post :) she's sitting on the couch
She must be waiting for the football game to start. :lol:
funny :)

..... but, I'll explain something here...
Did you notice that the tv is not turned on? There's a reason for that. There's an old custom, if someone dies from the family one doesn't suppose to turn on tv and radio for about 40 days, and some older people do that even longer.
Her brother died two weeks ago, so she just sits there with no tv or radio on.
 
Last edited:
Thank you Lew! I do have a couple pictures to edit but my calibrator is messing with me so I can't edit them when I have some available time

funny
I am enjoying the developing story. As to the wall you didn't push hard enough. Keep 'em coming.
...Stupid walls, always limiting our shots! :BangHead:
You don't have a wall filter? :confused-55:
You guys aren't aware that you're talking about 20 inches thick brick wall, right? :) Now... could you move it or do anything with John's wall filter? ;)
 
I like the way she is shown with plenty of light-against-dark foreground/background contrast. I POSTED that comment a couple nights ago, but my WiFi was wonky and was cutting in and out, and I thought the comment had gone through...guess not! Yeah, it is a bit tightly framed, but I still enjoyed seeing this photo.
 
I like the way she is shown with plenty of light-against-dark foreground/background contrast. I POSTED that comment a couple nights ago, but my WiFi was wonky and was cutting in and out, and I thought the comment had gone through...guess not! Yeah, it is a bit tightly framed, but I still enjoyed seeing this photo.
My WiFi has some issues these days also... small world :)
Thank you for writing me again and noticing that!

... and you're right, I need a wider lens :)
 
Did you notice that the tv is not turned on? There's a reason for that. There's an old custom, if someone dies from the family one doesn't suppose to turn on tv and radio for about 40 days, and some older people don't do that longer.
Her brother died two weeks ago, so she just sits there with no tv or radio on.

Similar to

In a traditional Jewish house of mourning; mirrors are covered, leather shoes are not worn, the immediate family does not cut their hair, shave, engage in marital relations, listen to music or watch television or partake in anything that can be construed as joyous. Immediate family members sit on low, uncomfortable stools. Grief is traditionally expressed by tearing one's clothing. Alternatively, mourners may choose to wear a small black ribbon that is cut by the Rabbi for a period of 30 days. A Jewish memorial candle may be lit and remain burning publicly 24 hours a day for the entire week. The candle, reminds us that our loved one's soul is eternal.​
 
Did you notice that the tv is not turned on? There's a reason for that. There's an old custom, if someone dies from the family one doesn't suppose to turn on tv and radio for about 40 days, and some older people do that even longer.
Her brother died two weeks ago, so she just sits there with no tv or radio on.

Similar to

In a traditional Jewish house of mourning; mirrors are covered, leather shoes are not worn, the immediate family does not cut their hair, shave, engage in marital relations, listen to music or watch television or partake in anything that can be construed as joyous. Immediate family members sit on low, uncomfortable stools. Grief is traditionally expressed by tearing one's clothing. Alternatively, mourners may choose to wear a small black ribbon that is cut by the Rabbi for a period of 30 days. A Jewish memorial candle may be lit and remain burning publicly 24 hours a day for the entire week. The candle, reminds us that our loved one's soul is eternal.​
yes, there are some similarities.

If the husband or someone really close dies, the wife/mother/even child should wear black clothes for a year. Everything needs to be black. No tv and radio, or going anywhere where some kind of celebration is happening. Some men won't shave also for a certain period of time.
However, there are lots of people who don't follow this custom in its original form, but older people often decide to wear black for the rest of their life.
She wears black for a few years now. She buried her husband, then a child (well 60 year old man actually) and now brother in the last few years. When she was younger she buried 2 children and only daughter she had when the daughter was 28 years old
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom