Shifting points of focus

Willieboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys, I am sooo confused. I have been trying to learn the basics of my new D5100 by shooting in manual mode. With SLR film cameras, I was accustomed to making my own adjustments and I thought I did pretty well. The move to the D5100 though has been confusing to say the least. Yesterday, while shooting in manual mode, with the camera mounted on a tripod, the point of focus, i.e., the little red dot on the monitor shifted all by itself. This evening, also in manual mode, the little red dot in the viewfinder was not centered in the viewfinder and I could cause it to move by pushing the Okay button. Is there a way a simple guy like me can make the bloody red dot just stay put in the center of the monitor or viewfinder and stop bouncing around. I am about ready to buy some film.

The camera will automatically choose what it thinks you want to focus on unless you go into the settings and change it. I just had to do that with my D3000 and am finally getting the focus where I want it rather than where the camera wants it.

I'm not sure how similar our cameras are, so I would definitely check out your manual or google it. Google has been my BFF.

The blasted machines are trying to take over. I'd rather think for myself.

I used SLR in high school, and picked it up quick. I don't know if it's the change in technology and having to shift through menus or what, but, man, I feel like it's harder to get the hang of the second time around. Definitely not like riding a bike. :p

Guys, I am sooo confused. I have been trying to learn the basics of my new D5100 by shooting in manual mode. With SLR film cameras, I was accustomed to making my own adjustments and I thought I did pretty well. The move to the D5100 though has been confusing to say the least. Yesterday, while shooting in manual mode, with the camera mounted on a tripod, the point of focus, i.e., the little red dot on the monitor shifted all by itself. This evening, also in manual mode, the little red dot in the viewfinder was not centered in the viewfinder and I could cause it to move by pushing the Okay button. Is there a way a simple guy like me can make the bloody red dot just stay put in the center of the monitor or viewfinder and stop bouncing around. I am about ready to buy some film.

Sounds like you only have the camera set for manual exposure thus leaving auto focus on. The two are separate.

I used SLR in high school, and picked it up quick. I don't know if it's the change in technology and having to shift through menus or what, but, man, I feel like it's harder to get the hang of the second time around. Definitely not like riding a bike. :p

I'm of the same view. These new cameras may have more capability, but they have a much steeper learning curve.

Sounds like you only have the camera set for manual exposure thus leaving auto focus on. The two are separate.

I have both the camera and the lens on manual. Is there another setting I've missed?

Thanks,

Bill

It's not you. It's technology and the camera designers.

I consider myself a technologically savvy guy, but I had to read my DSLR's manual to learn how to use some of its basic features (change exposure settings in manual mode, set focus point, etc). I later bought a Pentax ME SLR and had to read its manual only to figure out how to load the film. The aperture ring, exposure dials, light meter, and even the manual focus ring are pretty simple and intuitive to use, and I actually enjoy using it more than my DSLR. I kind of wish that some modern camera manufacturer would build a full-frame DSLR as simple as my Pentax, with no extra bells or whistles. I don't need or want an EVF when I can have a large OVF with a groundglass/split prism focusing screen. The same mechanical shutter mechanism (or an electronic button with the same "feel") would be nice too. Let me screw in an old-school shutter release cable--the kind with the little plunger. I could go on, but I've already written more than I intended. :)

I would say to check in your settings, and make sure it's on AF-C, this keeps it centered, or allows you to move the point of focus using the thumb pad to go up, down, left or right, picking your point of focus. If both the body, and lens are in full manual, I am not sure why it would be doing it by its self. . .if it's anything like the D7000, make sure that it's also not in auto, or 3D.

What mode are you shooting in?

In Auto mode it will select the point of focus. I haven't shot with an entry level DSLR in awhile so I don't know if there is a dedicated button for it but if I recall from when I use to have a D60 that you had to hold 2 button downs to move the AF mode. It shouldn't be in AF-C/3D, which means continuous auto-focus meaning after you lock onto something it will track that subject through the frame. AF-S is what you're looking for. Single point focus, where it just stays on whatever point you set it too via the selector.

I'm not sure about the 5100 but the D7000 has focus tracking, its mainly used for shooting video and in Live view mode, if the 5100 has this feature then make sure its switched off or the red dot will move about looking for "the subject" to focus on.

I suggest you read up on AF-Area Mode. It starts on page 94 of your owner's manual.

***Disclaimer***I've never actually used a d5100, so I'm just talking about how things work on my Canon, but they ought to be about the same.

AF-C of AF-S shouldn't have anything to do with this problem. Those are focusing modes that tell your camera how to go about focusing, not where to focus.

As SCraig has said, you need to set the AF-Area Mode to single point, and then you'll have full control over where it goes. Also, if you've got the camera and lens in manual mode, then the lens is not going to be auto-focusing when you take a photo. The switch on the lens won't let the lens autofocus if it is switch to manual. The red dot may still show up (I don't know how this works exactly), but the lens won't be doing anything.

I suggest you read up on AF-Area Mode. It starts on page 94 of your owner's manual.

+1 you will probably want single point Af as well as making sure your in AF-s not c, c will cause the camera to constantly try to focus and it won't "lock in"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back