Shipwreck

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This ship, the Ocean Pursuit, was grounded on the Outer Banks. This spot is one of the things that prompted our road trip to OBX. We wanted to get there before they haul this beauty away. We hiked out there in near total darkness, about 1.5 miles through the soft sand, carrying all our photo gear to shoot the milky way - and it was epic! Most of the MW photos still need to be stacked and edited, hopefully this weekend. We stayed through sunrise and got some nice color in the sky even if the clouds were lacking. One of my top 10 favorite shoots ever!

Still some stars showing in the sky:
Wreck on the Beach by SharonCat..., on Flickr

It was worth your trek. Great subject and shots!

It was worth your trek. Great subject and shots!

Thanks Cheryl. It was a really fun night of shooting. We left Boston at 2am and arrived in OBX about 4pm. “Slept” for 4 hours then headed to the beach. We stayed up shooting until sunrise. We were so tired but super happy with the whole experience. It was so dark out there that the Milky Way was clearly visible to the eye.
Outstanding! More please.
Thank you! You all will definitely be seeing more of this ship lol.

From a distance at first I couldn't even tell it was a ship it was so sunken in the sand. The second to last photo is so cool, and that last photo is just stunning! Fabulous job getting that photograph.

GORGEOUS SHOTS!! What an experience that must have been!!
Thank you so much! I have so many shots that I love from this shoot that I may have to dedicate an entire wall in one of our rooms to this one.

From a distance at first I couldn't even tell it was a ship it was so sunken in the sand. The second to last photo is so cool, and that last photo is just stunning! Fabulous job getting that photograph.

Thanks Sharon.

Love that last one, so mellow.

I think #3 is the phenomenal one. (Sorry Dean) The combination of colors and the lighting on the ship are wonderful.

This ship, the Ocean Pursuit, was grounded on the Outer Banks. This spot is one of the things that prompted our road trip to OBX. We wanted to get there before they haul this beauty away. We hiked out there in near total darkness, about 1.5 miles through the soft sand, carrying all our photo gear to shoot the milky way - and it was epic! Most of the MW photos still need to be stacked and edited, hopefully this weekend. We stayed through sunrise and got some nice color in the sky even if the clouds were lacking. One of my top 10 favorite shoots ever!

Still some stars showing in the sky:

Bravo! I love 3 and 4!

While the subject, setting and circumstances all have great interest and the light is lovely, I do think, with the exception of the first, that the water being so far of level spoils these to a degree. I'm surprised it has not been noticed. While I understand the desire to get the subject perpendicular, the sloping water distracts for me. Easy fix to and that apart, fine takes.

Last edited:
While the subject, setting and circumstances all have great interest and the light is lovely, I do think, with the exception of the first, that the water being so far of level spoils these to a degree. I'm surprised it has not been noticed. While I understand the desire to get the subject perpendicular, the sloping water distracts for me. Easy fix to and that apart, fine takes.
Thank you for the input. I did consider that, while editing. but, especially on the last photo, I felt that it had more visual impact if the mast of the ship was straight. I don’t really feel like the slight slant off the horizon detracts from the photo, for me. Photo number three is the one that I really could fix. But it’s a tight shot and I didn’t want to lose any more of the ship so consider it a Dutch tilt. Again, thanks for the constructive feedback, much appreciated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back