Shoe Mount Flash

ABPASnapshot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...I have a Canon EOS Rebel T2 and do not have a shoe mounted flash; in fact, I have never used one...what are the advantages and what would I have to pay for a decent external flash?...

Thanks

If you use the pop-up flash at all...then you need a hot-shoe flash.

The advantages are that it will probably have a lot more power than the pop-up. It gets the light higher away from the lens, reducing red-eye. Best of all, a good hot-shoe flash will tilt & swivel, allowing you to bounce the flash. That alone will improve your flash photography dramatically.

The Canon 430EX is around $300 (I think).

You can go with a cheaper model that doesn't communicate with the camera for automatic flash metering (E-TTL)...but you would have to learn how to use it. A dedicated flash like the 430EX is pretty easy to use.

Last edited:
I have the Canon 420EX which it fully automatic (I can adjust the power output a little using controls built into the 10D body). It tilts and rotates, and I've taken some wonderful photographs using it.

Your camera has E-TTL II which is more advanced technology. If you really want to get the most out of your camera than you'll need to get the 430EX or 430EX II. Both are compatible with E-TTL II. I'd stay away from the 580EX II as it is only E-TTL compatible.

Mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back