Shoe mounted flash, is name brand a must?

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon brand speedlights are a bit out of my price range right now.
I've seen some promising ones being offered by vivitar, bower and sunpak for about $50-80USD.

Is that a viable option?
I mean in terms of build quality

I;ve heard some good things about some of the third party flashes. Haven't used any myself. All my flashes are brand ones.

If you're going with a full manual non TTL, then it doesn't matter. If you're purchasing a TTL flash that communicates with the camera, then it does. You could go with a 3rd party in that instance, but there's not gaurenteeing forwards or backwards compatibility. Unless Canon completely overhauls it's EOS system, then a 430EX should still work with new cameras for years to come.

If you're going with a full manual non TTL, then it doesn't matter. If you're purchasing a TTL flash that communicates with the camera, then it does. You could go with a 3rd party in that instance, but there's not gaurenteeing forwards or backwards compatibility. Unless Canon completely overhauls it's EOS system, then a 430EX should still work with new cameras for years to come.

I definitely want to use the built in TTL system. I got a third party flash that was all manual before and found my self shooting at least 5 or 6 test shots every single time lol. I was shooting sony at the time which sucked enough in itself.

The only non Canon shoemount flash I used was a Sigma, and it was horrible. Metz has a good reputation, and offers some flashes that are a bit more affordable than Canon, but I don't have any personal experience with them. I would avoid Vivitar and Bowen, Sunpak might be okay. If you do get a shoe mount flash, make sure it has a head that can tilt and swivel so you can bounce it, and also make sure it is E-TTL II, if it is just E-TTL, it will not work with the digital Canon.

Using TTL flash is actually a lot more complex, and entails a much steeper learning curve than learning to use manual controls.

TTL has to use pre-flashes to work, and the pre-flashes often adversely effect your shot. For instance pre-flashes often make people blink and their eyes are partly or fully closed when the shutter is released. Pre-Flashes can also cause premature triggering of off camera flash units.

Using TTL the camera/flash unit are just following a software routine written by some camera software engineers. An unfortunate result is that TTL often produces inconsistant results.

I have 2 sigma shoe mounted flashes that I use regularly and they are excellent. I even had a problem with compatibility when I bought the 7D and sent them off to Sigma to be updated free of charge. I have no idea where davis had problems with Sigma, they're pretty well respected as a second brand flash. However the good ones are going to be well over your budget. Metz and Nissin are excellent (and metz would probably be my first choice) as well-and over your budget.
You are in the junk category there. They will work, but it's not going to be great and it's not going to have the best durability/lifespan.

+1 for the Sigma flashes. The only limiter that I have found was the person behind the viewfinder.

Most reactions

Back