What's new

Shoot through umbrella and mount

joshua_

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 20, 2012
Messages
163
Reaction score
14
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm wanting to buy a shoot through umbrella and mount and was hoping for suggestions. For now I'll be using it on a tripod if that matters. I'm using a YN 565EX ETTL.

I found this mount - Amazon.com: Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter: Camera & Photo

With this one I'll still need a shoe mount, right?



I'm not stuck on anything in particular and was just looking for suggestions.

Thanks
 
Hello,

I'm wanting to buy a shoot through umbrella and mount and was hoping for suggestions. For now I'll be using it on a tripod if that matters. I'm using a YN 565EX ETTL.

I found this mount - Amazon.com: Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter: Camera & Photo

With this one I'll still need a shoe mount, right?



I'm not stuck on anything in particular and was just looking for suggestions.

Thanks

PM me your address.. I will send you a 33" shoot through if you want it.. yea.. free!

That mount is nice.. but not really what you need. And for that price you could pick up a inexpensive lightstand and mount. Let me find something for you...
 
@ cgibson1 Very nice of you......by the way, I'm looking for a 5DMKIII or 6D. If you want to give me one I'll gladly PM you my address :wink:
 
@ cgibson1 Very nice of you......by the way, I'm looking for a 5DMKIII or 6D. If you want to give me one I'll gladly PM you my address :wink:

Trust me.. if I had Canon's... I would gladly give them away! lol!
 
Hello,

I'm wanting to buy a shoot through umbrella and mount and was hoping for suggestions. For now I'll be using it on a tripod if that matters. I'm using a YN 565EX ETTL.

I found this mount - Amazon.com: Manfrotto 026 Swivel Lite-Tite Umbrella Adapter: Camera & Photo

With this one I'll still need a shoe mount, right?



I'm not stuck on anything in particular and was just looking for suggestions.

Thanks

PM me your address.. I will send you a 33" shoot through if you want it.. yea.. free!

That mount is nice.. but not really what you need. And for that price you could pick up a inexpensive lightstand and mount. Let me find something for you...


Wow, thank you very much!
 
PM me your address.. I will send you a 33" shoot through if you want it.. yea.. free!

That mount is nice.. but not really what you need. And for that price you could pick up a inexpensive lightstand and mount. Let me find something for you...

What? did you win the brolly lottery or something? You tried to go in the brolly biz and went bust instead? Now you're giving away the evidence before the wife finds the boxes in the garage?

Either way... kudos for helping a guy out like that :-)
 
...saw an adorama video,and in the presentation,it was mentioned that the equipment he was using was proprietary in that only that brand (which escapes me) umbrella shaft would work with that particular mount (7mm).Is that to say most others are 8mm? 9mm? Is there an industry standard?
 
...saw an adorama video,and in the presentation,it was mentioned that the equipment he was using was proprietary in that only that brand (which escapes me) umbrella shaft would work with that particular mount (7mm).Is that to say most others are 8mm? 9mm? Is there an industry standard?

proprietary shafts? Wouldn't surprise me if some manufacturer used a heavier shaft for their stuff.. but I have never had a problem with that... lol!
 
PM me your address.. I will send you a 33" shoot through if you want it.. yea.. free!

That mount is nice.. but not really what you need. And for that price you could pick up a inexpensive lightstand and mount. Let me find something for you...

What? did you win the brolly lottery or something? You tried to go in the brolly biz and went bust instead? Now you're giving away the evidence before the wife finds the boxes in the garage?

Either way... kudos for helping a guy out like that :-)

I have a handfull of small gold and silver 33" umbrellas that were a gift Xmas before last... Although the shoot through's I am giving away I purchased to use for macro... but don't use them anymore. I figure... pass them on to someone that will use them! good size to learn with!
 
...saw an adorama video,and in the presentation,it was mentioned that the equipment he was using was proprietary in that only that brand (which escapes me) umbrella shaft would work with that particular mount (7mm).Is that to say most others are 8mm? 9mm? Is there an industry standard?

I think its probably the brand of light rather than the brand of umbrella that's incompatible. I seem to recall that some intentionally used a thinner shaft, just so you can't use perfectly good sturdy umbrellas from just anyone, instead you have to buy flimsy (smaller) overpriced ones from them.

It can't be the other way, because I can take a 7mm stick, and wrap it with electrical tape to fit just about any size hole from 8mm to 12mm. Not saying you'd want to, just that you can't honestly say "it won't work".
 
..I'll find it....I've watched the video a 1/2 dozen times.However,I do remember he distinctly said it was 7mm.Then gave the impression (to me,anyway) that this was not the norm.Therein lies my question.....is 8mm the norm?Is there an industry standard?What size shaft do Most manufacturers use?
 
...saw an adorama video,and in the presentation,it was mentioned that the equipment he was using was proprietary in that only that brand (which escapes me) umbrella shaft would work with that particular mount (7mm).Is that to say most others are 8mm? 9mm? Is there an industry standard?

I think its probably the brand of light rather than the brand of umbrella that's incompatible. I seem to recall that some intentionally used a thinner shaft, just so you can't use perfectly good sturdy umbrellas from just anyone, instead you have to buy flimsy (smaller) overpriced ones from them.

It can't be the other way, because I can take a 7mm stick, and wrap it with electrical tape to fit just about any size hole from 8mm to 12mm. Not saying you'd want to, just that you can't honestly say "it won't work".

That figures too.. do it the stupid way! lol!
 
..I'll find it....I've watched the video a 1/2 dozen times.However,I do remember he distinctly said it was 7mm.Then gave the impression (to me,anyway) that this was not the norm.Therein lies my question.....is 8mm the norm?Is there an industry standard?What size shaft do Most manufacturers use?

hmmm. Like an Elinchrome perhaps?

Converting regular 8mm umbrellas to 7mm Elinchrom umbrellas? - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Seems like 8mm is the most common.

Is 8mm standard? Well I won't go quite that far, though it does rather seem that way to me. For all I know maybe Elinchrome invented umbrellas before I was born and were using 7mm before anyone else even made one. Now that I've called them by name, I'm sure an Elincrhome fanboy will be along any second now to set the record straight.
 
I'm pretty sure you're correct with Elinchrome.Just checking to make sure if this is a spec I need to look for when I start my journey down this path to more financial ruin.

thanks,guys.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom