Shoot thru umbrella + speedlight = good times

sam_justice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.samueljustice.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finnalllyyyy! My new shoot through umbrella arrived, just testing it out quickly and used my niece, this was the best pose as she was darting around, and had a very messy face. I am very happy with the lighting though.
C&C

mfN5R.jpg

look to dark to my taste from my monitor Sam.

Still dark and appears the wb is off.

Keep shooting and trying new things with the light.

Just got into work and checked it on a normal monitor and it's so dark compared to my laptop. I've got some much nicer exposures from this that I'll post tomorrow when I get a chance.

The first photo has a soft, rather weak-looking lighting effect common to many shoot-through umbrellas. Shoot-through umbrellas can waste about half, or more, of your light. Take a look at this photo and you can see what I mean. In smaller locations, they waste a lot of light, and cause an overall, sickly-looking fill-light that cuts down on contrast, leading to a weak, mushy-looking lighting effect, kind of like what is going on with this little girl.

zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias Shoot Through Umbrella vs. Softbox

I think the light should be higher up.

Bingo.

Also I like the 2nd version of the first photo, OP. It could be a bit brighter but it's not bad imo.

lighting seems a bit flat.

wheres that epic thread about the kid with the food on his face lol.

I'm waiting for my softbox to arrive, I know shoot throughs are much better for full length body shots but thought I'd give it a try!

Sorry, the crusts ruin it for me. XD

Most reactions

New Topics

Back