Shooting birds in trees----with cameras

lvcrtrs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for advice on camera settings or how to generally go about photographing birds up in trees. Most times it's kinda dark up there in the leaves or, the opposite with the sky behind them. (Then OMG Purple Fringing). I've tried the different metering modes and pushing some extra light in with the +/- button.

Also, the background can get all grainy. I gave the "Despeckle" and "Noise reduction" a go in Elements 7 although I really didn't know what I was doing. I use the "help" feature a lot in the program with varying degrees of success.

Any advice on what to try next time I go out?

See below for a few examples. Looks like these were when I still didn't understand that I set the camera to USE ISO 500.

1. Cowbird F5.6, 1/200, 500, 300mm, Spot meter
Cowbirdfringingresized.jpg

2. Black Cap chickadee? F5.6, 320, 500, 300mm, Spot
Blackcapresized.jpg

3. Monotone bird F5.6, 800, 500, 300, Center weighted meter
Birdmomotoneonbranchresized.jpg

I don't have much advice for you. I virtually never shoot anything but people (ahem... with cameras). But I really like the second image.

There is nothing wrong with those photos you posted.

In terms of getting advice on shooting birds, the photos speak for themselves. It looks like you have a pretty good grasp already. I like the second and third a lot.

Thanks for sharing!

Shooting birds in trees is not the easiest thing to do.

You have to wait a lot.
The best shots are planned ... meaning that the photographer has picked an area that has the best lighting and background. Though most of the time it means waiting or not getting the shot.

Lens quality will also affect the image.

With that purple fringing ... I suspect you are using a Teleconverter ?

In terms of getting advice on shooting birds, the photos speak for themselves.

I agree.

It's pretty clear that you want as little sky showing as possible...

Even with L glass and no teleconverter, I get the same thing in that situation.

It's because there is way too much contrast between the sky & the bird.

These are good. You have a real talent. There really is not much to say other then great job!

Thanks to everyone. Keep an eye out for me. I have so many questions and I RE-LEE appreciate all the support. I shot at a dog trial recently and will be asking for help with those challenges soon.

Shooting birds in trees is not the easiest -thing to do.
You have to wait a lot.
The best shots are planned ... meaning that the photographer has picked an area that has the best lighting and background. Though most of the time it means waiting or not getting the shot.

Lens quality will also affect the image.

I was using the 70-300 VR. I'm sure it was also another of what I call "Big Crop".

Do a google search for "chromatic aberration".

Only thing I can see you really did any different is change your metering from Spot to CenterAverage.

Controlling your contrast is the big deal with CA.

Paintshop Pro has a tool for that, I can't say for Photoshop

Last edited:
Er, if by "purple fringing" you mean the blue in the first photo, that can easily be removed in Lightroom. Sure, all you can do is turn it to grey, and you still lose a lot of sharpness, but hey, it's better than having blue bands everywhere.

Edit: Dammit farmerj, you ninja posted me! :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back