Shooting double exposures in DSLR?

mvetrano2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if any one has shot double exposures with a Canon T3i, or know how it can be done in camera rather than in PhotoShop?

Just composite in post. I think some "higher end" models might have a multiple exposure setting, but it would be pretty pointless. Doing it in post makes far more sense, in the digital world.

You can use multiple exposures using strobes. I think 5D III can do on camera double exposure.

p668520438-4.jpg

Most of Nikon's DSLR's have a 'Multiple Exposure' feature.

A quick check showed the D5100, D90, D7000, D300, D700, D800, all have the feature.

None of the D3xxx have it.

I suspect its not as requested a feature, plus considering the concept you could likely do the process yourself with very fine control in editing very simply. Just take two shots and layer them one over the other and you're done - change opacity to introduce as much ghosty effect as you want.

And of course, as mentioned, you can use strobes to create a similar effect.

Sorry, it is not the same thing with photoshop. If you do it on photoshop, it is not as easy as 2 layers with reduced opacity.

Lets say you shoot a couple of exposures using camera that does it. Lets say the first exposure is just a picture of a mountain. The 2nd exposure is a complete black photo in a completely dark room. If you do it on camera, it is still the same picture as first exposure.

Now if you put a layer of BLACK on top of first photo, reduce the opacity of the 2nd layer, you get grayed photo of the first exposure.

Now if you put a layer of BLACK on top of first photo, reduce the opacity of the 2nd layer, you get grayed photo of the first exposure.

In that case, layer mask with brush is your friend. (I know you know this already). :D

Sorry, it is not the same thing with photoshop. If you do it on photoshop, it is not as easy as 2 layers with reduced opacity.

Lets say you shoot a couple of exposures using camera that does it. Lets say the first exposure is just a picture of a mountain. The 2nd exposure is a complete black photo in a completely dark room. If you do it on camera, it is still the same picture as first exposure.

True, but then I'd question the purpose of taking a second exposure that contributes 0 light to the first exposure.

Long shutter speed with your flash as your main light, fire the flash off multiple times to expose for different positions.

True, but then I'd question the purpose of taking a second exposure that contributes 0 light to the first exposure.

Just an extreme example over! :)

was out with my nephew on the weekend and we figured out how to do double exposures at night. using a cable shutter release on bulb setting (it helps to use a timer on your cell phone) lock the shutter open for 15 seconds, then put the lens cap on, reposition the camera, take the lens cap off and then leave the shutter open for another 15 seconds.

With photoshop you probably want to use a grayscale copy (or possibly the inverse, I can never get straight which way masks work) of each layer as a mask for itself, to truly replicate the effect of a film double exposure, as well as adjusting transparency.

I know the Kodak 14n from 2004 had a Multiple Exposure feature. The Nikon D3x has a multiple exposure feature. A snippet from Imaging Resource on thatL

"Multiple Exposures. The D3X supports multiple exposures (not to be confused with image overlay in the Retouch menu, which allows you to combine any images after they have been recorded). In Multiple Exposure mode, up to 10 successive images can be recorded in the same frame, and there is an Auto gain feature which will adjust exposure of each frame according to the number of frames (examples would be 1/2 gain for 2 frames, 1/3 for 3 frames, etc.) Nikon recommends to turn Auto gain off if the background is dark. If Single Frame drive mode is selected, the shutter release needs to be pressed for each image. If Continuous High or Continuous Low mode is selected, the camera will record all exposures in a single burst."

Nikon D3X Camera Exposure - Full Review

I suppose one could also go the old-school route of using a matte box with a double-exposure vignette, and expose one side of a frame, then flip the vignette and insert it from the opposite side of the holder, and then shoot a second exposure...thus creating the old-school studio portrait multiple exposure look? The current meme featuring Will Farell...$Double Exposure meme.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back