Shooting High School Sports

^I highly doubt she want's to buy L glass though. It's really expensive. You guys are telling her to get the best stuff, but I don't think she's willing to spend all that money to get pro stuff.

I'm not recommending L glass. The budget stated was 500-1000, the Sigma is in that range...and not too high just like the OP wanted, also it will work indoors and outdoors.

Well I didn't see the budget part of that post.. my bad. He/she has an XT, and isn't familiar with some terms people mentioned, so I thought tarzanboy probably wasn't too big into photography...at leased not big enough to buy top quality glass.

i agree with getting the 70-300.
I've seen them on Craig's List for $150.
get one of those for cheap.
use it outside and learn about what type of light produces the best pictures.
meanwhile keep saving as much money as you can.
as you learn the limits of that lens, you know what focal distance and aperture you wind up using the most.

then making a decision about what super-tele-zoom-10mm to 1000mm f/1.0 'L' Nikor lens you would get the most use out of will be a lot easier.

Is the 70-300 useable indoor (basketball) without dialing up ISO past 1600? I thought it was f/5.6 at 300mm range - even with the 70-200 f/2.8L I have to increase ISO to 800 for gym type shots.

The 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS) is around $1000. The IS version is $1600 ($1800?). The 100-400 is around $1400. Both from B&H.

Not likely... lol

I bet the OP could if they bought a full set of Elinchrome Sports Strobes. What would that run now for 8 units along with all the gear to hang them from the ceiling. Probably more than a 70-200 f2.8 :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

There is one other lens that has not been mentioned, for cropped body cameras. The Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8. There are two models of this lens now, I have the older model, and use it to shoot basketball.
I also have the Canon 70-300 f/4-6.3 IS and use it for soccer. If you stand at one goal you really can't reach the other end of the field. You need a lot longer glass for that, but from mid-field inward it works pretty good.

I bet the OP could if they bought a full set of Elinchrome Sports Strobes. What would that run now for 8 units along with all the gear to hang them from the ceiling. Probably more than a 70-200 f2.8 :lmao: :lol: :lmao: :lol:

Yea, I am sure he would need to provide ALL the players with SPF 90 sunscreen and dark shades as well... lol

Most reactions

Back