shooting in RAW

Uhm, if you're getting more noise in raw than with jpeg you're doing something really wrong.

Must be nice to have the money to go buy a great camera and all the equipment without actually knowing anything about how they work.

Must be nice to have the money to go buy a great camera and all the equipment without actually knowing anything about how they work.

Care to explain? I've been shooting professionally for 2 years now, in raw and jpeg, and unless you're looking to make some really pedantic point, believing that you're going to get more noise in raw than in jpeg is just flat wrong. Obviously, if you turn off the chroma noise reduction in your raw converter, you're going to have more noise than if you use an out-of-camera jpeg from a camera with internal noise suppression, but that doesn't mean there is more noise, it just means that you've got to take it out, rather than the camera taking it out for you.

Now, it is true that if you radically adjust your exposure in raw, you'll likley kick up a ton of shadow noise, but that's true of both formats (and if you do it in jpeg you'll have a lot more degredation to deal with).

Care to explain? I've been shooting professionally for 2 years now, in raw and jpeg, and unless you're looking to make some really pedantic point, believing that you're going to get more noise in raw than in jpeg is just flat wrong. Obviously, if you turn off the chroma noise reduction in your raw converter, you're going to have more noise than if you use an out-of-camera jpeg from a camera with internal noise suppression, but that doesn't mean there is more noise, it just means that you've got to take it out, rather than the camera taking it out for you.

Now, it is true that if you radically adjust your exposure in raw, you'll likley kick up a ton of shadow noise, but that's true of both formats (and if you do it in jpeg you'll have a lot more degredation to deal with).

:roll::roll::roll:

In camera converting to jpeg handles the noise nicely (at least Canon, I don't speak for Nikon). Raw doesn't at all. So if one shoots in raw, they have to deal with it afterwards which often requires buying another program, such as noise ninja or neat image, to deal with properly. You can discover this yourself in a couple of ways. The easiest would be to use the google machine, where there are many pages discussing this. Or you could pump up some ISO, take a jpeg+raw shot, and sharpen both.

That said, you'll see why my reply to the OP was RAW for everything, but have fun with the noise. These are things that you'll never need to worry yourself with. Now, move on to someone else to be pointlessly rude and argumentative with.

I like Lightroom's noise reduction. It might not handle extream noise as well as specialized software, but for most things the default noise settings (in Lightroom) seem to be fine. I have to tweak it a little for high ISO pictures, but that's to be expected.

:roll::roll::roll:

In camera converting to jpeg handles the noise nicely (at least Canon, I don't speak for Nikon). Raw doesn't at all. So if one shoots in raw, they have to deal with it afterwards which often requires buying another program, such as noise ninja or neat image, to deal with properly. You can discover this yourself in a couple of ways. The easiest would be to use the google machine, where there are many pages discussing this. Or you could pump up some ISO, take a jpeg+raw shot, and sharpen both.

That said, you'll see why my reply to the OP was RAW for everything, but have fun with the noise. These are things that you'll never need to worry yourself with. Now, move on to someone else to be pointlessly rude and argumentative with.

Perhaps it is different with Canon's newer cameras, but my jpegs have just as much noise as raw files and require exactly the same steps to reduce that noise. In fact, the ease with which ACR/Lightroom and/or Capture One 4 clean noise (particularly chroma, I tend not take luminance noise out, I rather have grain than smearing, unless it's really bad). I'm sorry if this has changed on the newer generation of cameras (mine newer camera came out in 2005, after all), I apologize for coming across as rude.

Perhaps it is different with Canon's top of the line, most expensive cameras, but my jpegs have just as much noise as raw files

Fixed.

And don't tell people whose $500 camera doesn't do the same as your $5k camera that they are doing something wrong. That's not "coming across as rude", it is rude.

What do you use to edit RAW images. My photoshop CS wont open RAW files...

If you are using CS (and not a more recent version) and your camera is newer, it is because your software doesn't recognize your camera type. You can head to the adobe website and look for an update file.

I don't remember the details, but if you google it, you should find the answers you are looking for

I had the same issue with my XSI in CS2. It just wouldn't work.

Fixed.

And don't tell people whose $500 camera doesn't do the same as your $5k camera that they are doing something wrong. That's not "coming across as rude", it is rude.

1) it doesn't do the same thing because it is older-- Canon's newer 1 series cameras have the same noise reduction programs as any other body they come out with-- my confusion is because my camera is three years old, with most of its basic software being even older.

2) My 20D is exactly the same way, because, wait for it, it's four years old.

PP RAW noise is lower in RAW
PP JPG noise is higher than RAW

Last edited:
I love RAW because I don't know how to manipulate JPEG images very well. RAW puts it all right there with PS CS2. The white balance is so nice, I go from my living room lamps to my kitchen to my bedroom, all with diff lighting conditions chasing my 13month old kid and then clean it up easy as pie. I admit it sucks on trips with only 2 2G cards, but my portable HDD card reader that I plan on getting after christmas will take care of that. And those are way down in price compared to a year ago with storage prices coming down.

sorry for the longwinded paragraph.

thats my $.02.

Wow. Camera envy?

This is some SERIOUSLY bad advice going on in here. The JPEG is rendered by the camera. Unless a person brings their RAW file through the provided software (Capture NX for Nikon. . .whatever for Canon), and uses the SAME NR settings that the JPEG used, of COURSE the files are not going to look similar. A JPEG SHOULD have less noise, because it has had work done it; the RAW file will not neccessarily be so.

Seriously, nothing irks worse than dishonest advice. And if I've got anything wrong, someone please step up and let me know.

I shoot raw + jpg. If the jpg looks good, I use it and skip the raw processing, if it needs adjustments I use the raw file instead and make it look good.

Wow. Camera envy?

Not at all (well, a little ;) ) More like the guy in the private jet telling the guy who just flew coach that leg room isn't an issue.

This is some SERIOUSLY bad advice going on in here. The JPEG is rendered by the camera. Unless a person brings their RAW file through the provided software (Capture NX for Nikon. . .whatever for Canon), and uses the SAME NR settings that the JPEG used, of COURSE the files are not going to look similar. A JPEG SHOULD have less noise, because it has had work done it; the RAW file will not neccessarily be so.

Thanks. I tried to explain that to Tsaraleksi, but he's happier not knowing so I let it go.

Most reactions

Back