RAW is the only way to shoot. It is all I shoot in.
Binary stuff like this really frustrates me, particularly on this beginners forum.
There is rarely only one way to do something. There is rarely a case where a particular tool available to someone is worthless and should be dismissed summarily. There is rarely a case where another tool is the be-all end-all for all situations.
For example, here are some reasons I might shoot in JPEG:
- I have very very good lighting conditions and a fairly consistent kind of subject matter that the camera tends to expose perfectly.
- I need a significant number of shots and don't really need them to be absolutely perfect.
- I am shooting for inventory or record purposes.
- I barely even know how to use my camera, let alone how to move all those damned sliders in the raw converter. (this is no longer the case for me, but it once was)
These are all perfectly good reasons to go JPEG.
The simple fact is that RAW is the better choice if you know what you're doing, but you don't have to rushto use it right away, and you certainly shouldn't feel like you're somehow sub-par if you're not using it.
For the record, I almost always shoot RAW. I have, however, been doing this a while and I HAVE been burned by JPEG more than a few times.