shooting infrared film

GerryDavid said:
Why would you have to load the film in total darkness? since the exposures on the roll start a good distance from the feeder, there shoudlnt be any leaking to the rest of the roll. Unless ir is able to pass through the roll material and you mean to keep the IR roll in the roll tube till your in total darkness, but I cant see that being the case.

Light/IR can penetrate the felt. Most film has an antihalation layer. This keeps visible light from passing through the film itself. For instance if a tightly wound roll was exposed to light, only the outside and edges would be lightstruck. The antihalation layer would prevent the light from stiking the film deeper within the roll. IR film usually doesn't have this, and even if a particular brand does, it only stops visible light, therefor IR can penetrate and fog even a tightly wound roll of film.

Hey, I've got a question about which cameras can shoot IR film. I'm a bit confused as to what causes the fogging in images. I have a Canon EOS 500 slr camera. If I were to set my lens to MF and the camera mode to manual will there still be fogging in the image? Thanks for the help.

George

Some slr's have infrared spoke counters built into them. With regular film, the infrared is invisible and the camera can count how many spokes goes by so it knows what exposure your on. But with infrared film, this will fog part of the exposure, usually the bottom or top, where ever it is. You can always compensate for this and leave room at the top or bottom for cropping. Also on cameras, the pannel that goes behind the film can be different. Some are perfectly smooth and some are bumpy. If its bumpy, the infrared film may pick on this unsmoothness and add it to the negative. So you want the area that goes behind the film on the door that opens to be perfectly smooth. And 3rdly, youll want to tape off the little window in the back on teh camera that shows you what film speed your film is when its in the camera, so infrared film cant leak through that. Just to start off with. :0)

Thanks for the info. I get it now, but its to bad I can't use infrared film in my slr camera. I've got another question though. I have a fully automatic p+s camera (pentax espio 140m, to be specific). Would I be able to use infrared film with that? I know it wouldn't turn out as good since I wouldn't be able to use any filters, but it's the only other option I have for now.

George

I have shot many rolls of IR in canons that it says you can't shoot with. I never ran into any major problems. The fogging in most canons is only in the sprocket area and maybe 1 mm of the actual usable film. Being 35mm it is usually cropped out in the printing process anyways. So i would buy a roll and try it.

Also the fogging only happens on the Kodak HIE version. Other IR films won't fog at all.

I have always used an old Nikon F-50 for my Infrared shooting. The only caution I take is loading the film in total darkness. I process the rolls myself at home using D-76. I have never worried about the heat and usually take about a month to finish a 36 roll. I shoot at 400iso and process at the same time as T-max 400 with the D-76 developer. I like the grain and contrast. I have never worried about focusing. For processing I take it to work and print it on a Fuji Frontier processor and get the results you see on this page http://www.airic.ca/html/infrared.html my Infrared page at airic.ca. Oh ya, I also use a Red filter but not with my fisheye that I have taken some good HIE pics with. Love the film.

Eric

infrared03.jpg

Hey, still looking for an answer as to whether I can use infrared film in my Pentax fully automatic point and shoot camera. Anybody know?

George

ksmattfish: that's a great tip on the DIY E6 filter. I'll be trying that for sure!

Do you have any examples of landscapes shot with this filter and HIE? :)

(i realize this is an old thread, hopefully you will see this).

Most reactions

Back