Shooting inside a small warehouse with the lights on... uhg...

pwolfamv

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I mostly shoot outdoors (motorsports, architecture, animals) and have little to no experience shooting portrait style photos. A friend of mine asked me to shoot a photobooth-like shoot for an event he's having. The event is at a small warehouse and the lights will be on.

I went out there to test my equipment (Canon 70D 18-55mm f1.4) and see how the lighting was and it was as expected, not great. The only saving grace here is that they are going for an "old time" kind of look. "Filter it enough and no one will care" kind of thing.

That said, I'd like to try and get some more shadows in there. Would adding a few fill lights do the trick or am I asking for more trouble by adding too much light to the shot?

Uh, yeah...adding light is usually a good thing for close-range photos of people, especially when the light that is present sucks. One, single, diffused electronic flash would probably be the easiest thing to add, and would probably do the most good.

And maybe add large piece of white posterboard/Coroplast on the shadow-side as a reflector just to get a little more interest. It's very difficult to go wrong adding more light to crappy ambient!

Uh, yeah...adding light is usually a good thing for close-range photos of people, especially when the light that is present sucks. One, single, diffused electronic flash would probably be the easiest thing to add, and would probably do the most good.

Haha, yea, stupid question I guess. I have a few cheap studio lights I was planning on setting up but may look at using a flash too. Thanks.

It's very difficult to go wrong adding more light to crappy ambient!

Good to know, thanks!

I have no experience shooting in a warehouse. But one question I have is making sure the added light is powerful enough to kill the ambient to avoid color issue.

Most reactions

Back