Shooting Moving Heavy Machinery

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok I had no clue where to post this so if there is a better place please feel free to move it dear Mods ;)

Ok, the question, today Mr Rabbit is finally getting a milling machine and lathe for his shop, both industrial size so they are using a boom truck to get it here then lifting it onto our trailer at the end of the driveway because the boom truck won't make it in.

Any suggestions on shots not to miss? (don't say bad things and jinx it please!). Shots of stuff like this that are cool etc...

All ideas are appreciated, I'd like to go in with somewhat of a plan.

Oh, and don't dare suggest any dangerous shots, I wouldn't have to worry about getting injured shooting because Mr Rabbit would kill me for bein' dumb lol ;)

I would just make lots of shots. From the time the truck arrives, keep shooting and finding new angles while staying out of the way. Make detail shots of the hoisting slings, and anything else that looks interesting.

I would just make lots of shots. From the time the truck arrives, keep shooting and finding new angles while staying out of the way. Make detail shots of the hoisting slings, and anything else that looks interesting.

Thanks! Yes, that was my thought, lots of pictures and sort it out after, I think the tension on the slings etc.. has potential for some cool shots.

Just get out there and shoot it extensively. Try to get a few periodically spaced "setting" or "overview" shots with a wide lens. ALso, add some detail shots, like say, maybe a squished tired on the trailer under the weight of the machinery, or some tire tracks through a muddy patch...lift truck guy's hand on the hydraulic levers, maybe the hinge pins on the loader, some details like the way the hook and clevis look, whatnot. Maybe a few of Mr. Rabbit watching or assisting, and so on. Just cover it like a news event.

Never stand under or in the path of a suspended load.

Always keep in sight of the operator.

Watch out for mechanical pinch points.

Beware of the counterweight swing radius.

See if you can get some shots from "up high" - depending on the type of boom truck, it could have an elevated control platform, or there's always the roof of the house/shop/shed. If you have an RF remote, I'd be tempted to duct-tape a body to the end of the boom and get shots as it swings.

Thanks so much all! Great suggestions and thanks R for the safety tips :)
I'm here and away a lot today, not sure if I'm going to be there for them putting them on the truck at the other end but its getting done at about 4ish so I'll be checking the thread until about then!

What lathe and what mill, and when can I come over and play with Mr. Rabbit's new toys?

You Canadians, always lathe-ing and milling around.

Don't try to get pregnant while operating industrial machinery.

Otherwise, just shoot away.

Oh, one other thing; introduce yourself to the operator and assure him that you:

1. are not trying to catch him making a mistake
2. will stay out of the way
3. will give him copies if he wants them

The last thing you want is a nervous operator.

Catch a picture of Mr. Rabbit's expression when something gets scratched, dropped, or broken. He'll treasure those photos for years to come.

Hopefully its Caterpillar equipment.

Big giant yellow things are cool to photograph.

:er:
images

Most reactions

New Topics

Back