shooting raw

mommyof4qteez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm sure there's a discussion about this on here somewhere, but didn't see it... my question is: when shooting raw & completing your edits, what do you always save your images as a jpeg? What do you prefer to save as?

I save it as a raw because that makes all my edits reversible.

Only when I need a JPEG (such as for posting on an internets forum) will I save it as such.

I save the Raw file since it's like a film negative. After Photoshop editing I save most images as .PSD master files.

JPEG is a lossy, compressed, 9-bit depth file type. JPEG has little, if any, editing headroom.

I output from my Raw converter (ACR) as a 16-bit depth .PSD file and try to limit it to 16 bit depth edits from there. Not all Photoshop tools/functions/features can handle the 16-bit depth.

How an image will be used determines what file type (and color space) I choose at output. Many commercial users want TIFF or PSD files, while most online print labs want JPEG files. For some web uses I use .PNG or .GIF.

I'm sure there's a discussion about this on here somewhere, but didn't see it... my question is: when shooting raw & completing your edits, what do you always save your images as a jpeg? What do you prefer to save as?

When I export from LR, I export as a jpeg because that is the format I generally need. (printing, web, client galleries) I always have the RAW file in my LR catalog/EHD if I need to export as a different output or make any changes.

Very much like Keith I convert my raw files to 16 bit RGB photos as PSD or TIFF files. I do any further editing in Photoshop with those 16 bit RGB files. I save all raw files and the edited TIFF/PSD files and select final edited TIFF/PSD files to print. JPEG is not part of my workflow and is only used to post a photo online.

Joe

If you save a jpeg it doesn't overwrite the raw file. You always have the raw unless you delete it. I always save a PSD with anything I have done any work on with all of the layers intact. Then a jpeg for viewing and printing.

I'm wondering if there is a huge difference in image quality with Tiff vs Jpeg... my website will allow me to post tiff format images and order prints as well...but if I have a client that wants to purchase a digital image on a disc, would tiff format be ok for that? Thanks for the advice so far :)

I'm wondering if there is a huge difference in image quality with Tiff vs Jpeg... my website will allow me to post tiff format images and order prints as well...but if I have a client that wants to purchase a digital image on a disc, would tiff format be ok for that? Thanks for the advice so far :)

Depends on if they 1.) have software that can handle TIFFs and 2.) want to make prints.

There's not a huge difference between TIFF and JPEG. If the JPEG is saved at a high quality level it will appear to be identical to the TIFF file unless you start some real close up pixel peeping. You're best bet is to deliver JPEGs to your clients unless they specify otherwise.

Joe

Thanks for educating me on this subject everyone... very much appreciated :)

OK I am lost here ... RAW files? ... My camera the files are all Jpeg ... what are RAW files and how do you save them.

OK I am lost here ... RAW files? ... My camera the files are all Jpeg ... what are RAW files and how do you save them.
What is your camera?

Not all cameras offer the choice. A raw file is the data recorded by the sensor as recorded. A JPEG is a processed RGB photo derived from the raw sensor data. Software in the camera processes the raw sensor data to create the JPEG. Consumer model cameras typically only save the processed JPEG. Pro-level cameras offer the photographer a choice to have either or both.

Joe

16_why_raw_1.jpg

Take a look in the manual.

OK I understand now ... I am new to Digcams, so on a very fast track of learning ... I have the new Nikon P510 at the moment and just read up that is only saves in JPEG ... When I get the Nikon DSLR that will have other options to save the photos in.

Most reactions

Back