Shooting snow is hard!

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this yesterday as part of a photo project that I’m working on for 2018 - January’s color is white. I’m not sure if this one will make the cut. Need to have a collage of 9 photos by the end of January. This one looks a little on the bluish side to me but when I try to warm it up it loses a lot. It didn’t seem like it was over exposed when I was taking it but I guess it is. What do you think?

I like it. I popped it into LR and used the WB eyedropper picking one of the grey areas on the tree trunk. It didn't change it very much but I did notice some of the red spots (overexposure) around the limbs go away.

My personal opinion is it's wrong to try to warm up snow. Because of the crystalline nature of a snowflake, and atmospheric impurities that they pickup they can actually refract and take on multiple colors, from pink to blue, with blue being a predominant color. It's one of those times when you need to trust your eyes, rather than the camera or software to set WB, rather than try to hide it's true colors, embrace them and accentuate instead. Why Snow is White (Even Though Water is Clear)

There is a little bit of blue cast in the sky as your eye moves toward the top of the background. I applied a "auto" curves adjustment, which seemed to help some.

I think you just ignore the slight blue cast.

38513900635_f8ca719407_b - Version 2.jpg

I like it but I would convert it to black & white.

I do not see the point in worrying about the colour cast at this stage. If you are doing a collage, then wait till you have all the images and see what they all look like together. When I was working on the snow pictures in my Toronto Fall set I let some of them "wash out" deliberately pushing them into a white background look to simplify the content. Some turned out ok, but there are a couple that I might replace someday.

The subject was a great idea. There are lots of willows in Toronto, but for some reason I never think of them in the Winter. I doubt if I have taken even one picture of them.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back