Shooting Through Glass? (Hockey)

TylerF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So for my birthday, I am thinking about going to a Sabres game and getting some real nice seats (not sure where yet, just close lol) I am allowed to bring my camera as long as the lens doesn't obstruct the view of others. But I'm not allowed to shoot through the mouse holes in the glass. Would I be ok if i used a polarizer and my 55-200mm lens? or would it be better for me to leave my camera at home and just enjoy the game? I dont want to bring it if there is no chance of anything promising.

thanks

I'd rather take it and not use it than want to use it and not have it.

true, but if i get a lot of people saying that shooting through glass yields very little chance of success, then i would rather leave it at home and not deal with the fuss of security and making sure it doesnt get damaged and just enjoy the game.

I would definitely take it. I've gone to a few games and had some nice shots come out. I didn't use a filter or anything, just the lens. You'll have to play with the settings a little bit- try to get there early and shoot during warmups from your seat to get a feel for how they look. There are times when the ice will be really blown out, so watch out for that.

thanks, i planned on shooting in raw so i don't have to get caught up in settings too much. i was just wondering if a- my lens is long enough, and b-how bad the glare on the glass is lol

Just shot UNH vs. UVM on Saturday night (there's a thread here somewhere with pictures) and I had my lens right on the glass and was fine.

What I have found is that the glass at NHL rinks is really clean and acceptable to shoot through ... Don't bring the poloarizer the 4 stops of light (or so) that it takes away isn't worth using it will slow your shutter speeds why down.

Put your lens right on a nice piece of clean glass and shoot away.

well i dont think i am going to be right on the glass (137$ a ticket lol) but i will be within about 6 rows

Here are some my friend took at a wild game with his 55-200mm lens and the Nikon D60. They are a little noisy but I think they turned out great. And it was mentioned above but you are not going to be able to use a polarizer, you will probably have to shoot at like 1600 ISO as well.

Flickr: VoLcOmKiDd911's Photostream (go to the bottom of page 1 and 2)

In that case I'd try to get above the glass-line (10-15-ish rows up) and just bring a nice telephoto lens ... Why worry about the glass if you aren't going to be 'on it' and you can do something about it.

Well there's no way I'm putting my d40 on iso 1600 lol. And I only will have the 55-200mm. I don't want to sacrifice good eats just so I can get above the glass level. If I can sit where they are going to smashing into the glass right in front of me, then I will take that seat any day.

Dont be afraid to put it on ISO 1600 if you have to, just make sure you have noise reduction on. Its better then not getting the shot at all.

yeah but the d40, at least in my experience is only good up to 800. everything else is useless lol

well i dont think i am going to be right on the glass (137$ a ticket lol) but i will be within about 6 rows

$137 is cheap for a front row seat on the glass, especially to see Ryan Miller, and a definite playoff team.

Im a Hurricanes fan and have been to several games. We had seats in Row M for our shutout loss to the Coyotes, and thats 13 rows from the glass and ran us $90 a ticket. On the glass for a 'Canes game is 200....

I suggest you get the on the glass ticket now before ticket prices rise much...looks like Buffalo tickets are ccccheap!

Idk about other teams, but with the sabres, they rate games and prices by who they are playing and rivalries and stuff. They are playing the rangers so it should be a decent game.

I love my Wild games (Season ticket row three $87 a ticket). Just remember that you won't need your flash that far away and they won't let you use it so keep it off. I've used a crappy camera phone to get some pics of the Wild and they turn out okay for camera phone. I've also used my Cannon 50D with a lens similar to that to shoot Figure Skating (also no flash allowed) and they turn out pretty good. (I think I did 1600 ISO for that) Nothing to blow up and sell for big bucks but good enough for me to enjoy at a later date and time (and for my friend to frame it's his girl)

Side note...Just go to the game no thinking required! My last game is on the 31st of March and I just can't wait! Oh and have fun...if you don't use the camera no worries just means it was too good to whip out the camera ;)

Sorry 'bout the long reply...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back