Shot from a crazy week! C & C welcome

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The past week has been nuts. I offered (volunteered) to snap some photos for a local magazine and next thing I know I've got like 14 shoots. Doesn't pay but for the experience. And what an experience it's been. Just a crazy week running around with the camera. Anyway, here are a couple that I really like. Let me know what you think.

Local-238-EDIT2.jpg

Local-121-EDIT.jpg

Local-191-EDIT2.jpg

Aetlier-20-EDIT.jpg

ScottFortYork-013-EDIT2.jpg

ScottFortYork-530-EDIT.jpg

Wow I really like the truck one! makes me feel like im about to run over!
How did you get that effect?

I jumped in front of it as he barelled down on me at 60 miles an hour!!! :)

Actually, the photo I snapped from my hip by simply tilting the camera up at the truck as I crossed the street on the light. I snapped off three or four shots in burst mode hoping one would come out. Back here at the Lazy Cave I applied a zoom blur to the shot to give it a sense of movement.

These are all really unique and refreshing really. So many photographs now focus so much on elaborate landscapes and exotic places. It's nice to see an every day sort of feel to someone's photographs. I love how laid back your images appear, how simple they are, while still looking amazing. Although, in the first one that reflection is kind of creepy. lol You definantly have talent, and I love the last one especially!

I can see why you had so many gigs. You should start charging for those shots, because you're clearly worth more than what they paid you (e.g. $0).

These shots are really amazing. The portrait of the woman is really nice, and your photos are all rather nicely exposed. [: I like the environmental portrait of the man, is that his house or job? Really great job and yeah, you should definitely be getting money for your photos, no more freebies!

for a "lazy" photographer, you pull off some awesome shots - i don't know which is my favorite. i also agree you shouldn't be doing free shoots, no matter how tempting it may be, since you already know how to take great photos - not fair to you nor to other photogs :sexywink:

They're all decent, but I think they could be improved. #1 feels too far away, nothing has much impact. I think getting in close, portrait orientation at /4 or maybe /2.8 would've been better. Same with #4.

Also don't like the angle in #6. So much potential in that photograph, though. The red shoes, blue tablecloth, the dog, etc. Would've been a good one to shoot from the ground.

The post processing for #5 seems to go against what PJ is about, but w/e. I'm not a purist or a pj. I like it.

Thank you so much everyone. As for charging, keep in mind this is a free community magazine and I know the publisher personally. I'd be surprised if she's making a profit yet. The magazine's only a year old. I don't mind helping out for now. Plus, you simply can't buy this kind of field experience. I'm a terribly shy person and this gig is forcing me to engage people in order to get good shots.

For instance, I chatted with the jeweller (photo #4) for about 20 minutes in his shop before asking if I could take his photo working in the back. By that time we were on such friendly terms he was like, sure come on back. A week ago I wouldn't have even considered entering the shop for a photo, let alone the area in the back. This is one of my favourites.

Similar story about the barber. I've wanted that shot pretty much since day one (I started taking photos a year ago when I got laid off), but never had the courage to go in and ask. I agree with White that a tighter crop also works. I just wanted to show the entire business.

The lady and dog (Ph #6) were sitting with three other ladies on old chairs out front of a local junk shop (secondhand shop) in the beaches here in Toronto. I was a couple of doors over shooting the storefront of a yoga studio. It was really hot and humid. Walking back to my car I simply sat down on one of the empty chairs with the four women. It and they were in the shade, you see. They looked at me like I had two heads. I opened with, Sure is hot out. I then complimented the pooch and snapped his photo by simply tilting the camera up to face him while I was holding it down beside the chair. I showed the photo to the women and I was in. We chatted for like 20 minutes. I'm sure I could have taken a group shot of them if I wanted, but it was hot and I had to go. A week ago that would never have happened. This gig is giving me new found courage and teaching me how to make people comfortable enough to let me shoot them.

Sorry for rambling on. Anyway, thanks again. I'm thinking of heading down to shoot the protesters at the G20 downtown today (might take their photos too). Should be a riot. Oops, that didn't come out right. :) Wish me luck in getting some interesting shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back