Thank you so much everyone. As for charging, keep in mind this is a free community magazine and I know the publisher personally. I'd be surprised if she's making a profit yet. The magazine's only a year old. I don't mind helping out for now. Plus, you simply can't buy this kind of field experience. I'm a terribly shy person and this gig is forcing me to engage people in order to get good shots.
For instance, I chatted with the jeweller (photo #4) for about 20 minutes in his shop before asking if I could take his photo working in the back. By that time we were on such friendly terms he was like, sure come on back. A week ago I wouldn't have even considered entering the shop for a photo, let alone the area in the back. This is one of my favourites.
Similar story about the barber. I've wanted that shot pretty much since day one (I started taking photos a year ago when I got laid off), but never had the courage to go in and ask. I agree with White that a tighter crop also works. I just wanted to show the entire business.
The lady and dog (Ph #6) were sitting with three other ladies on old chairs out front of a local junk shop (secondhand shop) in the beaches here in Toronto. I was a couple of doors over shooting the storefront of a yoga studio. It was really hot and humid. Walking back to my car I simply sat down on one of the empty chairs with the four women. It and they were in the shade, you see. They looked at me like I had two heads. I opened with, Sure is hot out. I then complimented the pooch and snapped his photo by simply tilting the camera up to face him while I was holding it down beside the chair. I showed the photo to the women and I was in. We chatted for like 20 minutes. I'm sure I could have taken a group shot of them if I wanted, but it was hot and I had to go. A week ago that would never have happened. This gig is giving me new found courage and teaching me how to make people comfortable enough to let me shoot them.
Sorry for rambling on. Anyway, thanks again. I'm thinking of heading down to shoot the protesters at the G20 downtown today (might take their photos too). Should be a riot. Oops, that didn't come out right.

Wish me luck in getting some interesting shots.