Shots From a Beginner

Volkan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!
I am pretty new to this photography world and I would like to receive some feedback and critiques from you. Here are the photos i shot.
$DSC_0485p.jpg
$DSC_05381.jpg

Merhaba Volkan, and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
Welcome also to the immensely wide world of photography. There is sooo much to detect and to learn and I hope you'll find the guidance you're looking for on our forums.

As to the second, where you went for the silhouette: I think that one quite lacks in composition, maybe a different crop could make it better, there is enough room for some creative cropping (which is good). I guess those two are self-portraits? And you could only place your camera this way or that way?

The first shows that in order to shoot against the sun you used the inbuilt flash. A good decision when the sun is behind you (your subject?), though the catchlights in the very centre of the pupils are not overly welcome to the true portrait photographers. Others might be able to tell you more about proper lighting in portrait photography.

If that someone is you, I must say: cool. Good looking!

@LaFoto, Thank you for your reviews, I really appreciate them.
I'd like to make it clear, it's not me in the photos. It's my cousin who mostly helps me with modeling :)

In the first shot I used the inbuilt flash like you said. And for the catchlights, I did not know that they weren't welcome in the very centre of pupils since I'm a real newbie and to be honest I don't know how to manage them while shooting. I would love to learn though.
In the silhouette trial, I tried to place the subject, sun and the beach umbrellas where they all look good together. But I also liked the idea of cropping, I think I'll try that out.

Welcome to the forum!

I really like the first one - i think it's an excellent portrait! Doesn't look like the work of a beginner at all!. LaFoto is right about the searchlights, but you could easily move them in photoshop :)

Your cousin must be happy with it!

Thanks ralphh!
I'm actually using lightroom to process my photographs since it is a software easier to use, but I know that I should learn PS for the futher/ more professional processing. And yes! My cousin loved it :)

I think they are good efforts for a beginner, The lens flare is an aquired taste for some people, personally i dont mind it, i think it adds a little something to the shot and its something that we are used to seeing when shooting into the sun,
As Corrina said the 2nd shot could have possible been better, there is way too much nothing in the lower part of the frame for me and i would have liked to have seen all of the parasol, the subject works well in sillouette though, must be all that hair (I dont work in sillouettes at all lol)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back