Should I buy a camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to go against the grain a bit here and say that you should focus more on composition rather than getting a better camera straight away.

Often people think that a better camera will make their photos better and while it can increase the quality of your shots it isn't necessarily the issue, though it can provide you with more tools to get the shot that's in your head.

Composition, framing, light are pretty key in landscape photograhy. Getting yourself in a good location at the right time of day is absolutley critical

Weepete has a very valid point. A better camera may make picture taking a bit easier but it will not make you a better photographer. The time for a better camera is when you have exploited all the options with your current camera.

As already mentioned, our library has several book dedicated to phone camera photography. You might check them out before you spend money on a new camera.

Get a Sony RX1000 VII

Thanks very much for all of the advice!

I'd definitely buy used if I were to buy a camera! I think an Olympus OMD EM5 ii, because it's compact and weatherproof.

For the moment I think I'll download an app and play with ISO, exposure, shutter speed etc. on my phone and when I've got to grips with that buy a camera if I'm still struggling.

OK, small and compact is good
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

I'm responding to an old thread, sorry if irrelevant. Get a camera. It will outlive a series of your phones, none of which will be able to produce as good quality of images as you would, provided you put an effort into learning and practice of taking images.

My advice would be to consider nothing less than a 1" sensor, such as in the Sony RX100. A smaller sensor will be bordering those in the phones, and the larger will impart the mobility. Whilst I try to make an effort to carry a full frame camera and lenses suiting the photographic intent when the situation warrants it, I always carry an RX100 (now gen 6) since there is no excuse not to, considering how small and versatile it is. I do not know how much the RX100 in your geography is but, regardless the expense, it is an awesome and an extremely capable camera.

I dont understand why people recomment a compact camera to somebody who specifically asked for a system camera and has a budget of $840, which is perfectly sufficient for a good entry level body and a good standard zoom.

And my personal lowest sensor size tolerable is APS-C.

I dont understand why people recomment a compact camera to somebody who specifically asked for a system camera and has a budget of $840, which is perfectly sufficient for a good entry level body and a good standard zoom.

And my personal lowest sensor size tolerable is APS-C.

Different experiences cause different opinions. I shoot Sony -- there is not much that $840 buys you. :)

I also vote to buy a camera. Photography is a wonderful hobby and is VERY satisfying at times. It also pushes you to go out there and explore things. I would recommend getting a Canon EOS 250D and starting with that or even a mirrorless M50.

Old thread locked. No fault of the OP here, however a spammer tried to use posts in the thread to self-support themselves (different accounts posting to try and support each other). Those are now removed. If the OP wants to make a new thread to chat about this (since they were originally asking in August) you're fully free to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back