Should I quit this photography internship?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrixgravity

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
OK, I don't know whether or not to call it an internship or volunteer work, but anyway. I have a friend who is a fashion designer, and he recently introduced me to this girl who is a professional Photographer. She has been looking for an intern or rather an assist, to help her out on her shoots. There is no pay involved. It's just for experience. So since I am an amateur Photographer I decided it would be a good opportunity for me to jump on this. So I agreed and I just spent the last two days doing this internship with her, and I gotta say I think I am ready to quit honestly. All I really do is carry her bags around and help her set up the lighting. That's it. Then I literally sit there and spend hours watching her shoot various clients and I honestly thought there would be more hands on work involved but I think it's just really time-consuming doing this internship. Not only do I not get paid, it's a pain. The only upside to this internship is the fact that it helps me get out of the house more since I'm at home all the time. But aside from that, it's not very work-oriented. There isn't much to do.

So I'm thinking about just dropping it all together. But I'm wondering if I will regret this later on? I mean yeah, getting to see her do these shoots first hand is cool, but I already know how its done so I don't think I'm learning much from it all. Overall, I'm wondering if there really is much of a benefit at all. Plus, me and her don't really get along too much. She is a foreigner so our sense of humor is entirely different and she is kinda stingy at times and I hate women like that.. Is this how Photography internships typically even work?

Is there a point to learning aperture, ISO and shutter speed? :)

I've already successfully learned how to utilize these functions on my camera. Plus, she isn't giving me any hands-on camera work which is my primary point.

It was a joke!
You're an intern - she isn't going to give you hands-on camera work after 2 days. She was probably an intern at some point (maybe not) and she had to carry stuff, fetch coffee, etc. Its called paying your dues. You gotta do what she wants you to do before she starts letting you get more involved. I think you will be making a huge mistake if you quit.

So, this photographer is stingy, as in cheap? You hate women who are cheap/not generous - I don't get it.....

If she is a pro , there is a lot to learn from her. But don't expect that she will give you hands on training. You have to play your part , and be more proactive in your learning experiences. Ask her questions, see how things are done, get a review from her of your work...so on.

Yes you should. With your attitude you are not going to learn anything so what's the point...

1/ Internships here in France are called the new slavery because most of them don't pay :) Not only that but a lot of companies don't really have anything much for the interns to do do beside fetching coffee. It is up to the intern to find something intelligent and worthwhile to do. Internships and/or assitantships are not school, it is up to the intern to learn something.

2/ Then again you seem to say you already know how things work which surprises me a great deal. According to your previous threads and the fact that you are not a working photog, I would believe quite otherwise. She is a pro and, no matter how good or bad she is, I'm sure there is something to learn during the shoots.

3/ Hands on? Carrying and setting up the gear is as hands on as you're going to get for quite a while. Did you really think she was going to turn the camera over to you and go take a coffee break while you played. Get real.

4/ She's a foreigner. She's stingy. Your sense of humor don't jive... No wonder you're sitting at home. This is work, not entertainment, and it is a situation you could find in any job.

Seems to me you should learn about life before you even attempt photography. Cheers.

Just to add to the above you're carrying and setting up the lights - well that in itself is a lesson in lighting positions; soon enough you'll be told to set various powers on the lights and perform other tasks as needed; maybe holding reflectors or moving lighting around during the shoot (depending on the situation).

It's a case that you've got to pick the lessons up as you go along whilst remaining awake and attentive; otherwise you'll just be the gear carrying person. Also be forward with trying to help, showing personal motivation is far more likely to get them helping you than if you just await to be ordered around.

If you can match her quality of product, then yes, you should quit. If so, let's see some comparisons.

Hi there, the acid test would be to organise your own shoot. If your photos are equal or better than your mentors, then she probably can't teach you anything to help you improve. If your mentor takes better photos than you can, then you need to ask her to teach you what she is doing.

While your sitting there watching you should be picking up on the angles, where the lights are and where the photographer is, how far the lights are from the subject, how the pro interacts with the client, etc.. after the shoot talk to the pro about the shot to try to get them to open up.
If you just sit there like a rock you're not going to learn anything for sure. The pro is not going to drop everything during the shoot to answer questions for you so write them dow if you need to and ask after the shoot.

Good luck, B

She only uses two lights and a simple backdrop for her shoots. There is nothing miraculous to be learned from that. All she does is shoot on manual with an external flash. I am already capable of shooting as good as her. The only difference is that I use a cheap Mirrorless camera, and she uses a 7D. If I had that kind of equipment, I'd also be set. But anyway, I decided to drop the internship because I don't have the strength to run around NYC at 9 AM just to carry her bags or help her with trivial things that she can personally do herself. I honestly don't know why I agreed to the internship. I guess its because I'm usually bored so I thought it would give me something interesting to do outside of home, but it's a waste of time.

Um, that is what an internship is. You lug and do the crap work so that you can sit there and watch what she does, how she does it and learn from it. If she's of a sill level that is impressive? I'd be all over doing her grunt crap so I can pick her brain and see what she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back