Should I quit this photography internship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While your sitting there watching you should be picking up on the angles, where the lights are and where the photographer is, how far the lights are from the subject, how the pro interacts with the client, etc.. after the shoot talk to the pro about the shot to try to get them to open up.
If you just sit there like a rock you're not going to learn anything for sure. The pro is not going to drop everything during the shoot to answer questions for you so write them dow if you need to and ask after the shoot.

Good luck, B

I agree. Learn by watching then learn by doing, but, MOST importantly, LEARN! How you phrased your question stinks of arrogance and portrays a person who is looking down on their peers. Take on board EVERYTHING that you are able to see and periodically ask the question why. You have a door that has opened for you with this so, do the grunt work with your eyes WIDE open, watch everything that happens around you and, suck it up. Pay attention at all times, let go of your ego for the time it takes to learn, then get all you can from this experience. Or don't and see how far that gets you.

It may be advantageous for you to attend real classes vs tote bags for a pro

Well, I can already do all of that stuff that she does. Like I said, the only grand difference between me and her is our equipment. There is nothing that she is capable of doing that I already can't. She's rather good at marketing herself though which is something I can definitely say but aside from that, it's a hassle for me I guess.

Matrixgravity said:
She only uses two lights and a simple backdrop for her shoots. There is nothing miraculous to be learned from that. All she does is shoot on manual with an external flash. I am already capable of shooting as good as her. The only difference is that I use a cheap Mirrorless camera, and she uses a 7D. If I had that kind of equipment, I'd also be set. But anyway, I decided to drop the internship because I don't have the strength to run around NYC at 9 AM just to carry her bags or help her with trivial things that she can personally do herself. I honestly don't know why I agreed to the internship. I guess its because I'm usually bored so I thought it would give me something interesting to do outside of home, but it's a waste of time.
You aren't going to get far in this world if you quit everything because you aren't getting your way. That's what an internship is - you do the work nobody else wants to do. She isn't going to teach your for free. You are as capable as her? Then why aren't you a fashion photographer and why did you agree to an "internship" if you are that great after learning photography for a little while. You must be a freakin genius!

Well, I can already do all of that stuff that she does. Like I said, the only grand difference between me and her is our equipment. There is nothing that she is capable of doing that I already can't. She's rather good at marketing herself though which is something I can definitely say but aside from that, it's a hassle for me I guess.

Less than a month ago you asked if it was worth learning the iso, aperture and shutter speed, i'm new to all this myself but i reckon there is no way you can do all the stuff that she does! theres a reason why she is the photographer and you carry the lights and make the tea!

The camera/gear doesn't make a better photographer. That comes down to vision and skill. I assist a wedding photographer in Calgary and all I ever do is lug gear it seems. Its very minimal second shooting. Basically I am her Sherpa but I have learned a lot about posing. Seems to me that your attitude has already soured you on this assignment and your just looking for validation to quit.

well if your on the same level as she is. go pro yourself and grab your own intern.

I have no interest in going 'pro' with Photography. It is merely a hobby and nothing more..I only took the internship because I have nothing better to do during the weekend so I thought it would be fun to try out. Boy was I wrong.. lol

Less than a month ago you asked if it was worth learning the iso, aperture and shutter speed, i'm new to all this myself but i reckon there is no way you can do all the stuff that she does! theres a reason why she is the photographer and you carry the lights and make the tea!

Yes, Yes I very much can. I'm tired of people portraying Photography as some sort of divine skill that very few are capable of doing. I can assure you, there is nothing even remotely difficult about it. Once you are able to grasp the primitive and most basic commands of a camera, and you continue to work yourself up to working with Manual, you have already mastered it. The next step is purchasing decent equipment, and then having an idea of how you desire to shoot your subject. There really is nothing elaborate about it. As I have already previously stated, I have decided to quit because there is nothing of benefit to be derived from this. There is nothing that she can do, that I already can't. I just don't have as much passion and drive as she does. Those are the only dividing lines. I have no desire to go Pro at all. I just do it as a hobby.

Matrixgravity said:
Yes, Yes I very much can. I'm tired of people portraying Photography as some sort of divine skill that very few are capable of doing. I can assure you, there is nothing even remotely difficult about it. Once you are able to grasp the primitive and most basic commands of a camera, and you continue to work yourself up to working with Manual, you have already mastered it. The next step is purchasing decent equipment, and then having an idea of how you desire to shoot your subject. There really is nothing elaborate about it. As I have already previously stated, I have decided to quit because there is nothing of benefit to be derived from this. There is nothing that she can do, that I already can't. I just don't have as much passion and drive as she does. Those are the only dividing lines. I have no desire to go Pro at all. I just do it as a hobby.

Just because you can shoot in manual does not mean you have mastered it. Maybe you understand how to shoot on manual but can you get perfect pictures SOOC every time. And you don't need to purchase any extra equipment - the equipment doesn't do anything if the photographer sucks.

Nobody portrayed it as divine skill that few have - shooting on manual isn't that hard but that's not all there is to it even thought that's what you seem to think.

ahhhh so it just boils down to you being lazy lol. i wouldn't train you anything on day two if you were working for me. i'd see if you actually wanted to learn and had what it takes. quitting on day two. im glad she didnt bother telling you anything at all.

weird that yoru asking these questions at all since you obviously know it all though. you remind me of my 6 year old. he goes out, kicks a soccer ball once. figures he understandes everthing there is to know about soccer, and goes back in on the couch to watch cartoons. knowing how your camera works ist just that knowing how the camera works. that doesnt make you a great photographer.

ahhhh so it just boils down to you being lazy lol. i wouldn't train you anything on day two if you were working for me. i'd see if you actually wanted to learn and had what it takes. quitting on day two. im glad she didnt bother telling you anything at all.

weird that yoru asking these questions at all since you obviously know it all though. you remind me of my 6 year old. he goes out, kicks a soccer ball once. figures he understandes everthing there is to know about soccer, and goes back in on the couch to watch cartoons. knowing how your camera works ist just that knowing how the camera works. that doesnt make you a great photographer.

It has nothing to do with being 'lazy'. I quit for good reason. There is no reason for me to even stick around. I have better ways of spending my weekend than lugging some lazy girls bags around all over NYC for hours in the freezing cold.

Post some of your work then? if its good i will be the first to apologise

It has nothing to do with being 'lazy'. I quit for good reason. There is no reason for me to even stick around. I have better ways of spending my weekend than lugging some lazy girls bags around all over NYC for hours in the freezing cold.

you all ready said you were bored with nothing better to do and it was a way to get out of the house. sounds kinda lazy to me. i mean if you were bored why not just go out and enjoy taking photos. that is your hobby right? and again, you quit after two days. you didnt even know if there was anything to learn. you never made it that far. you couldn't even handle carrying the lights.

and if your not wanting to become pro or anything why would you be concerned with your marketing skills versus hers. someone who does photography as a hobby doesnt really need to market themselves.

Matrixgravity said:
The only cool looking aesthetic effects you can do with a camera are Depth of field, and Bokeh. Other than that, is there really any point in learning how to use Aperture, ISO, and Shutter Speed? I mean, can't a beginner just purchase an expensive DSLR and just shoot on auto and produce professional looking pictures? I mean, the only reason you would need aperture,ISO, or shutter speed is if you wanted to create depth of field, or bokeh. Other than that, what is the point though? Thats what confuses me..There really doesn't seem like there is much to do with a camera aside from bokeh and depth of field..That is all I ever see..
This says it all ^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back