Should I switch from Canon to Sony?

ZachDames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Question: Should I leave Canon for Sony?

I started off with Canon back in high-school, sold my Canon because I needed the money. Just now got back into Canon; bought a 7D Mark II and a cheap Canon nifty-fifty.

After the release of the 5D IV, I was disappointed in the lack of innovation, the camera really isn't worth the money; and now the 6D Mark II has been released and I'm disappointed once again. CANON REFUSES TO INOVATE!! Canons latest and greatest seems like Sonys and Panasonics 2014.

That being said, Sony has caught my eye because they constantly inovate and they produce amazing photos and video (both are important to me). I have heard mixed reviews though, some pros say mirrorless IS ready to dominate the pro world and some say its NOT ready.

My question is this, seeing how I haven't invested in expensive Canon glass yet; should I just ditch Canon and switch to Sony? Innovation and reliability are the most important factors to me. I need a hybrid that takes sharp photo and video, and performs like a champ while doing both. Canon just isn't innovating anymore, it's sad because that's why so many videographers like myself chose Canon in the first place.

P. S. I bought my 7D mark II on Amazon marketplace used for a 1k, I should still be able to return it for full refund. That's what makes it so tempting to switch now rather than wait for Sony A7R mark 3 relase sometime in winter. Or should I just keep Canon until relase? Do lenses lose value quickly?

Thanks,
Zach

For photographers they're great, but I'm looking for a hybrid. To many flaws in there video features. The Motion JPEG files of the 5d mark iv 4k has its upsides, but for wildlife photo and video I'm planning it on using it for that will take up a lot of cfast cards to leave camera recording for 2 or 3 hours, or just one really big expensive one.

I would take a good hard look at the Sony A9. I think it would give the flagship Nikons and Canons a run for their money. I used to be a pro, on paper, the A9 could replace a dSLR for news work. My only reservations would be in the unknown build quality of the Sony. Top of the line Canon and Nikon cameras are built like tanks, up to the daily abuse of news work. The Sony A9 has no history on build quality. Finally, my less than expert observations indicate the Sony system is sorely deficient of long and ultra long lenses on any kind but in particular long primes and only a few zooms of 200mm and longer.

If I could could afford the A9 I'de be all over it haha. Looking to stay under 3,500USD. Was looking at the A7R II or the mark III that's rumored to come out this winter. Supposed to be informed of it by Sony in August.

Ya Sony lens selection isn't as good as Canon, but I'm hoping that once company's see more and more videographers are switching to Sony that more third party companies will come in.

Innovation and reliability are the most important factors to me.

Seem to have answered you own question here.

I need a hybrid that takes sharp photo and video, and performs like a champ while doing both.

No Idea what a hybrid is? A camera either does or does not have a mirror. There is no in between.

Sounds like it could be a good thing to at least have a serious look at another camera type.

In my view it won't make a whit of difference in terms of your images. You need to judge your own desires and motivations.

There will always be a faster car, prettier woman, bigger tv, better phone etc... Be happy with what you have.

all I read is a rant that you don't have enough money to buy a better Canon
so you want to rant about possibly going to SONY.

a lot of the "innovation" is coming from mirrorless as they push the technology to catch up in AF and other features that need to be integrated into the chips. An oddly, SONY makes most of the sensor chips out there. So their cameras will have the latest and greatest sensors. Canon & FujiFilm makes their own and I'm sure a few others. But canon has always (within the last say 5 years) been lagging as they make their own sensors thus have a smaller market, less revenue to put back into R&D.

here's a good thread to read ==> Can Sony keep up in a profesional environment?

Problems with Sony

1.So far from what I heard very bad customer service
2.All their cameras except the A9 has 1 SD card
3.Very poor lens selection
4.The lenses they do have are very expensive
5.Very few third party lenses
6.Overheating in pretty much all their cameras when shooting video in 4K, from what I hear some models of their A9 has overheating issues and some don't.
7.Very bad battery life in all models except the A9
8.Most models are small which makes a very bad thing if you use big fast zoom lenses
9.Menu of Sony is just horrible

The good

1.Excellent AF both for stills and video
2.Their G master lenses are very good
3.Almost all their models have 4K which makes them future proof
4.Small bodies good for travel and if you mostly use prime lenses or slow zoom lenses
5.Some of their bodies have IBIS
6.Excellent sensors with good low light performance and good dynamic range

Here are few thoughts from my experience as I own Nikon DSLR and Sony a6300
Battery life on the Sony camera is a PITA!, its annoying and I carry few batteries in pocket even if I take a walk in the park
I still don't get the menus of this camera but I do learn it slowly as I go, seems like their is no logic at all
The lenses or more lack of reasonably prices good zoom lenses for their APS-C is annoying
A big thing that somehow all mirrorless users "forget" to mention is that the AF system performance in low light, it takes much longer to lock focus or it just gives up compared to DLSR! had this issue on my Panasonic MFT and the Sony, not a huge improvement here.
In good lighting condition the AF is very good, about par with DSLR
Small size is ideal for traveling
Sony cameras are just excellent, they make amazing photos and amazing videos, their video AF is just amazing!!!

So for conclusion I am happy, I knew exactly what I got myself into, for wedding I use my Nikon, I mean to me the Sony cant even touch it, yes an A9 might be a good tool but for that I would need to spend 10000$ to be comparable to my DSLR and this is simply INSANE!!! when it comes to value for money for professional wedding work Sony has nothing on DSLR!!!
For video I think at the moment while not perfect Sony is offering the best package with 4K, amazing video AF and overall good reliability.
I am going to stay with Sony for video and travel, where will I be in 2-3 years as for my equipment depends a lot on Nikon and what they will make and Sony too, once their will be better customer service, more third party lenses options and more FF with 2 SD cards available and if Nikon will just keep making non innovating cameras I might make a switch fully to Sony, time will tell, I LOVE Nikon so I am willing to give them the chance to make more interesting cameras in the future, we shall see.............................

Should you leave Canon for Sony ?
That's something only you can answer

I see little technical or practical merit to abandoning canon, but I'll say to the OP if the sony is what you really pine for- just return the canon and go for it.

Heck, I did pretty much the same thing when I sold my existing really-nice rig to go to nikon a couple of years ago. It wasn't necessary but it made me happy. Isn't that what we are going for? (plus I can hum the tune to 'kodachrome' when I shoot now.... can't do that with a canon or sony)

PS- some of my favorite and most popular images were shot on my old canon that I ditched, which occasionally makes me nostalgic for canon- the human mind is a messy thing!

Last edited:
I switched brand recently. But I didn't do it for features or imagery. I did it for size and weight. I'm an old man and I no longer comfortable carrying a lot of gear. If I were a younger man I wouldn't have done it.

Here's a little different take on that. I've been watching Jason Lanier and he shoots with Sony bodies. There are plenty of times that I have seen him shoot with Canon glass on them and the images look darn good to me. So if you are wanting to some day move to the Sony platform, don't let the glass stop you. (I've seen him use the 200mm f/2.0 from Canon and wow)

As you mentioned, you aren't so invested in Canon that you couldn't easily make the switch so if that is what you want, go for it. The Ziess glass that Jason uses seems to me to be pretty killer.

Innovation and reliability are the most important factors to me.

Seem to have answered you own question here.

I need a hybrid that takes sharp photo and video, and performs like a champ while doing both.

No Idea what a hybrid is? A camera either does or does not have a mirror. There is no in between.

Sounds like it could be a good thing to at least have a serious look at another camera type.

By hybrid I meant a dslr that catered to photographers and videographers. Like the t3i and 5d mark III.

It seems like Sony is picking up what Canon put down, a camera that produces fantastic photo AND video and perorms like a champ while doing both.

all I read is a rant that you don't have enough money to buy a better Canon
so you want to rant about possibly going to SONY.

a lot of the "innovation" is coming from mirrorless as they push the technology to catch up in AF and other features that need to be integrated into the chips. An oddly, SONY makes most of the sensor chips out there. So their cameras will have the latest and greatest sensors. Canon & FujiFilm makes their own and I'm sure a few others. But canon has always (within the last say 5 years) been lagging as they make their own sensors thus have a smaller market, less revenue to put back into R&D.

here's a good thread to read ==> Can Sony keep up in a profesional environment?

It's more of a matter of not seeing the Canon camera as worth it, I don't have a problem buying a $4k+, it's just better be worth it. For what I do the 5d mark iv just doesn't seem like wise purchase for the money.

Most reactions

Back