Should I trade in my sensational D7000 + 17-55mm 2.8 combo and get D600 + 50mm 1.4?

I am in the same boat like you. Bought myself the D600 replacing my trusty D7k,
10 days later, I exchanged it to D800. Wanna upgrade, from D7k to FF, don't waste
your time in D600. There is no different between the 2, just bigger sensor. Forget All those
mumbo jumbo technical stuffs, lens are more beneficial to invest. I used Nikkor 24-70mm and
16-35mm on my D7k and it works like a pro. Until I can't frame my picture in tight environment
that I have to upgrade to FF. So I got the D600, end result same picture quality with my D7k.
Want to see differences, get the D800 or D700 if you are in budget. Just my direct and 2 cents opinion.

@Derrel, thank you for letting me know about the promo! I searched for it and found it on Vistek - have never bought from them before. Is this a for real deal?

@ashlim, what kind of photos do you shoot? I am just wondering what made "you" upgrade to D800. I don't doubt the D800 is awesome, I just don't know if I truly need it and whether the extra is best invested in a good lens. I don't have any issues with the D7000 - I love it. All I wish is that it were full frame (for the reasons I have talked about). I simply need full frame to get those kinds of shots - that's it. Now I know some things are actually a downgrade going from D7K to D600 - 1/4000 shutter speed vs 1/8000, 5.5 vs 6fps (will I notice? I don't shoot sports), and things like that. But.... its full frame. And the more I think about it... the more I feel ready to take that step. Otherwise I'll just keep renting full frames for the shots I want that will only cost me bunches more in the long run.

Don't be afraid of dealing with Vistek. They are real bricks and mortar camera stores with knowledgeable staff.

alas the deal is gone - it expired LAST NIGHT...
to say I'm bummed is an understatement! I should have pulled the trigger but had no idea I had only minutes left to do so!

I see the combo under 2200 with an ebay dealer - maybe a reseller who bought during the deal and makes a quick buck on the turn-around...
is that a good option?..

alas the deal is gone - it expired LAST NIGHT...
to say I'm bummed is an understatement! I should have pulled the trigger but had no idea I had only minutes left to do so!

I see the combo under 2200 with an ebay dealer - maybe a reseller who bought during the deal and makes a quick buck on the turn-around...
is that a good option?..

Just make sure it's not a gray market kit.

it says bought in US retail store, unopened package, has Nikons warranty etc. I'll try to figure out some more to make sure its a good source and maybe just pull the trigger.
I dont doubt full frames will come down in price eventually. But in the money I will spend renting them in the mean time... might as well just go for it.

I just bought the d600 and also have the 7000. The 600 is AWESOME in low light. I shot quite a few photos with my iso at 3200 and saw VERY little noise. I was shocked. I'm keeping my 7000 but you will love the d600/50 1.4 combo :) Good luck

I just bought the d600 and also have the 7000. The 600 is AWESOME in low light. I shot quite a few photos with my iso at 3200 and saw VERY little noise. I was shocked. I'm keeping my 7000 but you will love the d600/50 1.4 combo :) Good luck

I am always SO extremely interested to hear from those who had D7000 and now have D600, as this would be my case, and I still feel squeamish at times about trading them (I wish I could keep both like you, but cant)
It sounds very encouraging to hear that you love the 600 and its low light capabilities (that of the D7000 already blew me away).
Which 50mm do you own? The D or G version? that's gonna be my next dilemma on which to get.
So glad you love the D600! :)

I am always SO extremely interested to hear from those who had D7000 and now have D600, as this would be my case, and I still feel squeamish at times about trading them (I wish I could keep both like you, but cant)
It sounds very encouraging to hear that you love the 600 and its low light capabilities (that of the D7000 already blew me away).
Which 50mm do you own? The D or G version? that's gonna be my next dilemma on which to get.
So glad you love the D600! :)

Oh, great! If you are able to go for it, I say do it!
I have the 50mm 1.4G & just purchased the 28mm 1.8G and LOVVVEEE that one on my camera! LOVE LOVE LOVE! Let me know if you have any questions!

I am always SO extremely interested to hear from those who had D7000 and now have D600, as this would be my case, and I still feel squeamish at times about trading them (I wish I could keep both like you, but cant)........

I made the switch about 3 weeks ago. Admittedly, I haven't spent the time with the D600 that I'd like to, but I did find one real treat with it that blew me away. Shooting with my D7000, I couldn't keep up with the action if I was shooting raw. I'd fill the buffer up so quick sometimes I would miss a few shots just waiting for the buffer to clear. So I reluctantly starting shooting some of the fast action with JPEGS. I cringed every time I checked the histo............

With the D600, I can turn off all the buffer-eating options (Distortion control, noise reduction, active d-lighting, etc.) and fire away with 12-bit raws and never have to worry about the buffer. The larger buffer (15, v 10 on the D7k), coupled with it's faster write capability, let's me relegate shooting JPEGs to "Hi, Mom! Yes....... it's snowed 12" today... I emailed you a shot of the neighborhood".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back