Should I upgrade my camera body or invest in glass?

I'm just starting out in my photography business.

because I'm just starting out.

I've read

I want to give my clients the best that I can.

I currently only have kit lenses.

This all alarms of bankruptcy and failure if you continue.

1st. Clients don't care what your gear is but fate does. One failure to deliver to a client could result in a lawyers making your day a not so fun event (at least in North America).

2nd. If you have BUSINESS insurance good. If not any client trip slip or blunder could cost you millions.

3rd. A great photographer with crappy business sense will fail where a mediocre photographer with excellent business sense can make a mint.

Overread has pretty well nailed the problems. I see in your follow on posts that you're taking coursing...could be good...could be a hack dunno but I'll assume a decent course.
Post course you still have A LOT of practice ahead of you. Think 100,000 pictures. I mean pictures not shutter actuations.
While doing this you should be researching how to successfully run a business, insurance costs, where are you going to shoot?

Nobody wants to rain on your parade. On the contrary in fact. What we want to see is that you succeed. We just want to make sure you have thought of everything you can so you don't end up becoming a mother failed photography business.

Final thoughts, I know it's all exciting but you really will be better served to take a very methodical approach and ensure you are in the best possible position to succeed.

Hope to see some of your work.

Well I have picked up some books on marketing and business as well. I'm doing all I know how to make sure when I take the final step and go full time; I'm not totally ignorant to what needs to take place first. I initially set this post up just to get some feed back on what to look for as far as bodies and glass goes. I know I've got a long way to go. Also I understand that I'm not exactly leaving all information out here. I don't have an official start date on opening my business. This is why I sought out a photography forum. for help from people who know what they are doing. I really appreciate all the feed back from everyone. I may not like to hear it, but sometimes you've got to listen to everyone to get the information you need. I've been watching youtube videos. I recently picked up "The Photographer's Business Handbook" by John Stockwell and Bert Holtje. If you guys have any other resources that I can dive into I'd be happy to check it out.

You've still not really identified what kind of photography you do nor what kind you hope to go into business with. There are setups that can cost £1000 - £10,000 and many tens of thousands. Without some idea of what you can do; what you're aiming toward and what your problems are with your current gear its very hard to give you any advice on what to buy.

Because there's so many choices on offer - you have to put more criteria of your own on the table if you're going to be able to make purchase choices today - and get advice on them - that are going to benefit you when you decide to go professional (even if you continue on that pathway).

Well reasons I've not really stated what type of photography I'm going to do specifically

1. I've only experienced a few genres. I've done mostly kids which I'm actually starting to enjoy. I've got a little session with my wife for some maternity portraits. I'm in contact with a local working photographer who is willing to take me out on some sessions for wedding and senior portraits.

2. I've only been shooting for 2 yrs before that it was primarily vacations family gatherings etc... I've only just started trying to make it permanent. I figured I'd start part time for a couple years then try to move full time.

3. I know there is multiple avenues to really focus on. I know I don't want to do wildlife or landscape except for hobbies.

Another question I've got if I want to switch to Nikon how am I going to build a collection of glass for a full frame camera with a canon camera?

Another question I've got if I want to switch to Nikon how am I going to build a collection of glass for a full frame camera with a canon camera?

If you're going to switch brands or change your sensor/film size you do that first then get the lenses.
There's no point building up a collection of lenses for a camera that you know you want to change away from unless you are unable to afford changing brands for a very very very long time and the other costs of upgrading now are more modest.

You asked for our take on mirrorless. I walked away from my Nikon DSLR system because I wanted something smaller and lighter. Now I'm a mirrorless shooter with no interest at all in going back. Personally I view the DSLR as an obsolescent technology but I'm in a small minority. Almost everyone on this forum will disagree with me. As I said before, it isn't about the equipment.

by the time you're ready to go professional, your gear is really the absolute least of your worries.
I mean that in the best way possible.

Are you 100% confident that you can get professional results in all weather and lighting conditions?
I think this is the #1 thing that separates the amateur vs. professional. I couldn't agree more @Destin

For sure. I’m still trying to get there myself though. I’m confident enough to charge for my work but I have an underlying fear that I’ll encounter a condition I’ve never worked in before and get thrown for a loop.

My newest camera is a Nikon D-3100, about eight years old. I use a lot of my older Nikon glass and tend to get the best results. I learned the hard way about camera systems before realizing the problem was me. Now am not a pro but been doing this since 1968, and have sold some. But mainly shoot for myself, and am a tough critic. Also my main interest are landscapes, nature, and wildlife.
Best advice is shoot and learn, you have received a lot of sound advice in this thread. Medium format and a tripod is my choice when the best is called for. Still read everything you can find and ask questions, there are no dumb questions. We all were new once up on a time. Good luck to you.

David

Speaking in generalities - for normal conditions (think snapshot) any camera can take the picture. The lens makes the difference. The camera can have features that make it easier to handle the Not normal conditions. But THE LENS STILL MAKES THE DIFFERENCE! If I need high ISO I need a camera feature but still need the good lens. Fast glass help in low light so I don't need as much ISO.
The relationship changes from shot to shot.

I read recently from a professional photographer that photography business is 5% photography and 95% accounting. Thus I know very well why I prefer staying hobbyist - this way I have no pressure to get results, and photography stays fun.

Cameras can give you a lot of things, but the prime factor for image quality primarily is still the lens. It is the lens that creates the image, and the sensor simply cannot record what the lens doesnt produce in the first place.

Thats why Leica is still in business. Their cameras arent really that competitive, but their lenses are stellar. Also very expensive, unfortunately. As are the cameras.

That said, depending upon the field in question, you might need a current camera, or really expensive hardware, for being able to produce competitive results.

What is you all's take on mirrorless?
If a camera has a mirror or not is only one variable of many of a camera system. Just like, for example, sensor size.

And, unlike sensor size, if you camera has a mirror or not doesnt even show up in your images. At all. Especially since the newest mirrorless cameras apparently now finally rival the DSLR AF systems in performance, even with moving subjects.

What you instead want to evaluate with a system is for example:

- image quality (and btw thats BY FAR NOT just megapixels and lens sharpness).
- useability (for example how fast can you operate the camera, for example do you need to menusurf a lot because you dont have a pro camera with many direct control elements)
- reliability (how likely is it that the camera gets into trouble anyway, and how robust is it)
- performance (autofocus, operation speed, metering precision etc)
- professional / fast support in case of problems

The reason I would still primarily recomment Nikon or Canon for a professional, depending upon what exactly they want to do, is not because of the mirror, but these are established systems with a huge framework and very high reliability. They also have a huge used market with some of the best glas mankind has ever developed for riddiculously cheap.

The only real mirrorless competition to that is in my opinion right now Fujifilm, who really challenge the Nikon / Canon dominance, attacking them in most areas and even surpassing them in some fields. For example Fujifilm constantly releases firmware updates who actually add new functionality and improve performance of the cameras. They even still do that for the X-Pro1, their first, now about 5 years old camera. No other company does that. You want new software features with a Canon or Nikon ? Well just buy their new camera.

I walked away from my Nikon DSLR system because I wanted something smaller and lighter.
Unfortunately for you, mirrorless doesnt change a single law of physics. Thus the only way you can get a smaller camera is by accepting a smaller sensor as well. Only then the camera plus lens can be shorter than before.

Professional photography is 20% photography, 40% marketing, 30% accounting and 30% ability to live on very little money for long stretches.
Of that 20% photography: 20% is gear, 40% is vision/visual problem solving, 30% uniqueness and 10% technical knowledge/lighting.

My two cents, not that it matters.. get a decent lens for what you have because resale value is a lot better on lenses. Learn as much as you can in your classes. Once you establish an actual business ( LLC or s.corp.) Purchase the system you want and the Trinity of lenses , if all are needed. Then market, book, meet with clients, book , meet, book, meet, shoot and edit. Professional photographer really means small business owner that provides a service product. That being said I bought a big camera and way too much other crap I don't need because it's a fun hobby for me. I don't buy old cars or like sports or play a lot of video games or ECT... I like photography.. so do whatever you want to

I walked away from my Nikon DSLR system because I wanted something smaller and lighter.

Unfortunately for you, mirrorless doesnt change a single law of physics. Thus the only way you can get a smaller camera is by accepting a smaller sensor as well. Only then the camera plus lens can be shorter than before.

Why unfortunately for me? I have smaller and lighter with outstanding image quality with the same sensor size I had before. You have your priorities. I have mine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back