Should I upgrade my camera body or invest in glass?

DreamCatcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a Canon Rebel T5 I'm just starting out in my photography business. I know a better camera body will improve image quality of my pictures. Although I've also been told to just invest in higher end glass until I can afford a better camera. What do you guys think? If you have any recommendations on glass/camera bodies please help. I want my next body to be atleast full frame.

Guessing your staying with Canon system. What is your price range? Right now a 5D mkII or a 6D would be improvements in ISO performance over your current T5. Some improvements in color and dynamic range as well. The 6D even more improvement in ISO than the 5D mk II. But we are talking about moving from a $500 body to $2,000 bodies. The 5D mkIV would be another step up in sensor output with better color, dynamic range and more ISO performance than the 6D. But again going up in price to over $3,200.

Also if you don't have glass to fit a full frame now. Your going to have that expense as well. If your willing to stay crop sensor the 80D is the body to get. $1,100 or so for better color, dynamic range, and ISO over your T5. Of course the ISO is not as good as the full framers above.

Currently I don't have a price range still shopping was hoping to try, and make due with the body I've got possibly upgrade the glass for the time being because I'm just starting out. Canon right now is my go to platform from what I've read Canon had a better lens selection.

The conventional wisdom is always to value glass over bodies, and this is good advice, generally. However, I have found that the hardware that inspires me to go out and shoot is always a good choice, whether it be a new lens, body, or accessory.

The conventional wisdom is always to value glass over bodies, and this is good advice, generally. However, I have found that the hardware that inspires me to go out and shoot is always a good choice, whether it be a new lens, body, or accessory.
I truly just love the art of photography and I want to give my clients the best that I can. I'm just afraid the current camera I've got may not produce what they want. I currently only have kit lenses.

If all you have is a T5 and kit lenses I don't think you're in a position to be having clients just yet. Do you have backup equipment in case of failures? Do you understand off camera lighting and how to use it as fill or overpower ambient? Are you 100% confident that you can get professional results in all weather and lighting conditions? Do you have liability and equipment insurance? Do you have legal contracts for your clients to sign?

To answer your equipment question; start by upgrading your glass. Build a collection of full frame glass. It will improve your images far more than a new camera body and will allow you to have the glass needed to make the jump to full frame eventually.

If all you have is a T5 and kit lenses I don't think you're in a position to be having clients just yet. Do you have backup equipment in case of failures? Do you understand off camera lighting and how to use it as fill or overpower ambient? Are you 100% confident that you can get professional results in all weather and lighting conditions? Do you have liability and equipment insurance? Do you have legal contracts for your clients to sign?

To answer your equipment question; start by upgrading your glass. Build a collection of full frame glass. It will improve your images far more than a new camera body and will allow you to have the glass needed to make the jump to full frame eventually.
I know bits and pieces of lighting I primarily shoot outdoors with reflectors and diffusers. So I don't use any other lighting sources just good old fashion mother nature. No I'm in the process of getting contracts and my business license. Insurance is something I'm having trouble finding. Who do you recommend? Also no back up equipment just yet that's why I'm looking for a new body actually. Was planning on picking up two at the same time.

It's a little concerning that your thinking of starting a business yet your choice of words in this thread and your choice of section (beginners) suggests that you've not got that much actual experience. That you only use "good old mother nature" is also a serious limitation as natural light is often not always ideal.

You've not even identified any kind of rough budget, no idea of what equipment you've got now besides the camera body; not given an idea of what kind of photographic services you are thinking of offering etc... I think you really need to pause and consider waiting and practising and learning a lot more before you try charging for your services.

Otherwise, at best, you'll have a company that mostly only sells to friends/family on odd occasions ; whilst at worst you might do considerable damage to your image as a professional photographer early on; thus damaging your capacity to mature your business.

We've seen it happen loads of times - people get started, get half good and then someone suggests "hey you could sell your photos". Next thing they are starting a business. Then a few months down the line the insurance and business costs make them close a business that is otherwise only selling the odd photo or session here and there.

Gotta agree with @Overread. And don't take it as an insult.. we're genuinely trying to help you. Give yourself a couple years to learn. Do some TFP shoots with local aspiring models. Learn more techniques. Build your equipment selection. Build a STRONG portfolio.

When you hang your shingle out as a business you want to be putting out solid, consistent work. You want confidence behind the camera and in your business skills.

I've been shooting for just 9-10 years now and I just opened my business last year. I still don't really feel 100% "ready" but I'm glad I waited.

Again.. not trying to crush your dreams. Just giving you advice on how best to succeed. One of the biggest tell tale signs of someone who shouldn't be charging for their work is that they claim to be a "natural light only" photographer. You can't always get by without flash. Sometimes there is no other way to get a shot, and using off camera lighting consistently for all your portrait work will go a long way towards giving your work a distinctive professional appearance.

Use this community man. I've been on here for about 9 years on and off and it's the sole reason I've improved the way I have. The people on here have experience and know what they're talking about. None of us want you to fail.

I recommend the gear in my sig. You save lot buying last gen.

We only know a snippit of your situation, you could be a real go getter and have a community of people just waiting for you tontake their photo. Im going to gonagainst the grain and say GO FOR IT. :)

Oops- did not realize you were talking about shooting for clients (my fault- missed that statement).

If shooting for others, you have a real problem. The T5 only has one card slot, and if your one (and only) card with that day's shoot fails then you (and your client) have lost EVERYTHING. Yes, cards do fail, as I can personally attest.

I could never recommend shooting for clients with a one-card slot camera. If you are planning to shoot professionally immediately, you need (IMO) a camera with 2 cards- one as a prime card and one mirroring as a backup.

If you plan to shoot pro soon (but not today), perhaps start building professional glass now, and then check out the current state of the art for bodies when ready.

Last edited:
Ok, I took your original post you were ready to move up in body first, but maybe better lenses. As for lenses Nikon and Canon are really about the same. Both have good lenses, but also if you go by test like from DXO, Sigma has some that test better than either Nikon or Canon. And if you read the posts here, many do have Sigmas, and now Tamron G2's that they love. So, don't get stuck on having one brand.

Next, you said you don't have a price range. That is a big big mistake. You need to set a budget! You need to set budget goals when certain plateaus are met.

You really need to come up with a budget. And we can help you chose, if your in between models or lens choices.

And since your just starting off with entry level equipment. I will say this. For the money Pentax has the best performing least expensive full frame in the K-1. And their lenses are top notch and less expensive since their bodies have the IS and not the lenses. But outfits like Sigma and Tamron don't make lenses for Pentax. But for the money, Pentax K-1 is the best deal going performance wise for full frame performance.

Canon though has a big lens collection and third party support by lens makers like Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina. Basically the problem with Canon is their sensors are behind the times, except their very top end cameras. Nikon on the other hand. Their camera sensors are very good. Their entry level sensors are better than Canon's mid level and advanced cameras. If your going to have to buy lenses and body don't get locked in to who you have now with just entry level equipment. Now if you like the feel of Canon and control lay outs thats fine. But your going to have to pay more for similar performing camera in Canon than Pentax or Nikon. And then you have Sony who has several top notch performers in full frame. But again we are talking about high priced bodies and lenses.

Thank you all for the quick responses. Yes, I didn't release all the information at first. I'm currently enrolled in a couple photography classes. Trying to learn and gain every bit of knowledge I can before officially moving forward. I'm just reaching out for guidance I can use full frame glass on crop bodies correct? I initially wanted Nikon,but when I got the canon it was just the better deal. I've been looking at both companies. I've also tested a couple of Sony's A7 series. What is you all's take on mirrorless?

You may think you may that the equipment will produce better images but it is the photographer that does that. Better camera, better lenses. Forget it. If you need a particular lens to expand your capabilities then get it. If you don't have a tripod, get a sturdy one.

Oh believe me I'm not even thinking if I get a better camera and glass its going to make me some glorified photographer. I know that I am the one that controls the outcome.

Most reactions

Back