Should I upgrade my Nikon 50mm 1.8 D for the 50mm 1.4 G? Is the bokeh worth it?

When I google Nikon Cream machine, it yield 85mm f/1.4
When I search Nikon Cream machine in flickr, it found the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 group.

So maybe sell the 85 1.8 and get the 85 f/1.4 since you like creamy bokeh type photos.

You must have had the 'safe search' filter ON :lol:

I just ordered the 50mm f/1.8G for my son's birthday. I'll have it Wednesday evening.

I may post some comparisons between that lens and my Sigma 50mm f/1.4, which I picked up after coming to detest the 50mm f/1.8D.
The Sigma has what I consider to be very pleasant out of focus rendering for a 50mm prime on DX,

Steve

When I google Nikon Cream machine, it yield 85mm f/1.4
When I search Nikon Cream machine in flickr, it found the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 group.

So maybe sell the 85 1.8 and get the 85 f/1.4 since you like creamy bokeh type photos.

You must have had the 'safe search' filter ON :lol:

No filter, I usually wear a hoodie when search. :D Filter will degrade the search result. :lol:

Thank you for clearing that one up guys! haha. my small brain gets it now.

More stunningly I've realised my slow aperture 70-300 VR gives better bokeh than my new 85 1.8D, at the same apertures I'm seeing much better bokeh from the 70-300. I know the 70-300 has 9 rounded aperture blades so not that suprising but this kinda proves to me that 85 1.8d is no Bokeh machine at all. I'm going to sell it and get the 50 1.4G I reckon instead, and look into the Tamron 90 2.8 as my telephoto prime lens.

This probably has less to do with the 9 aperture blades and more to do with the focal length vs. focusing distance unless you are trying them at the same focal lengths and same focusing distances. If you have a longer focal length and are focus on something pretty close, you are going to have a very out of focus and 'creamy' background.

No it was the same focussing distance, both set to 85mm and the 70-300 is better at same aperture. It gives that awful hexagon look style bokeh! Much like the 50mm 1.8D. I thought I might get lucky with the 85 1.8, seems I will have to sell my arms and legs and save up the 1.4.

But this serves as good pointer to me to ignore alot of the internet experts, I was told by a few sources that the 85 1.8D has great bokeh. Canon make a great 85mm 1.8 from some of the samples I have seen. The 85mm 1.8 needs a serious upgrade by Nikon!

No it was the same focussing distance, both set to 85mm and the 70-300 is better at same aperture. It gives that awful hexagon look style bokeh! Much like the 50mm 1.8D. I thought I might get lucky with the 85 1.8, seems I will have to sell my arms and legs and save up the 1.4.

Could you post comparison pics showing the bokeh difference between the two?

why not consider the newer 1.8g? not only is it smaller and less expensive, Its sharper and has better contrast then the 1.4g at f2 and below, the only thing you're giving up is some soft/low-contrast photos at f1.4

It's not a question if you are shooting in FX format, the 1.8 is DX so it is pretty worthless with my D700. I have both (1.4 and 1.8) and the 1.4 is a much better lens in every aspect but you can get just about the same shot for 1/4 of the money with the 1.8. If i knew i was never upgrading to a FX i would get a 1.8.

why not consider the newer 1.8g? not only is it smaller and less expensive, Its sharper and has better contrast then the 1.4g at f2 and below, the only thing you're giving up is some soft/low-contrast photos at f1.4

Thanks for the suggestion! The 50 1.8G is a great lens on all accounts from samples I have seen, But the bokeh goes polygon when you stop this lens down and to be honest this is the reason the 50 1.4G in my mind is the better option. My only reason really for wanting the 50 1.4 G is bokeh. In reviews I have seen the 1.4G bokeh stays circular at all apertures...

Unless someone here has a sample of the 50 1.8G showing amazing circular bokeh? I pretty much dismissed it.

Have you considered the 1.4D? Im considering between these two. The D is about half the price for an used one.

Yes thanks, its a great deal for a great lens.

Again though, bokeh is severely choppy on this lens like it is on the 1.8D.

I thought we were talking about the 50mm f/1.8G in my last post, but I'll post some quick snaps I took today when I got home to test the lens.
All shots with the new Nikon 50mm f/1.8G

1. F/1.8
i-Wr32NLm-XL.jpg

2. F/1.8
i-TVLNdM2-XL.jpg

3. F/1.8
i-NQgXHx4-XL.jpg

4. f/1.8
i-JX5Gg2f-XL.jpg

5. f/1.8
i-SggLvG7-XL.jpg

6. f/8 - This shows the hexagonal highlights creeping in
i-kfqKqvs-XL.jpg

7. f/8
i-LKS7fGb-XL.jpg

not the best bokeh examples, but I was really just making sure the thing worked.
I suggest the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 if you really want some nice out of focus rendering at 50mm.
I'll look to see if I have any examples.

Fantastic sleist! Thank you very much for this, shows the 1.8G is no slouch in alot of areas. Photo 4 is a beauty!

I have seen the sigma does have some lovely OOF qualities,

To add confusion to the matter, I have just stumbled across yet another lens that seems to be a bit of a budget dream! So you think the Sigma bests the Nikon 50 1.4g?

Anyone know about the Tokina 50-135?

I'm now wondering if I should commit a cardinal sin and cover both my shooting needs with one lens. This lens seems it would cover me for 50mm and 85mm..

Well, I'll be damned! I have checked out the Sigma 50 1.4 and wow the bokeh is amazing.

The idea of choosing Sigma over Nikon still sends shivers down my spine, as I am one of those that always prefers to buy the proper Nikon stuff.

But wow, the Sigma has some amazing bokeh? And delivers that pro fashion portrait look I so crave. I am seriously considering this one now. Thanks Sleist for the tip. It really is a toss up now for me between the Nikon 50 1.4g and the Sigma 50 1.4. The Sigma is more expensive, but I think I can now get rid of the 85mm and just live with the Sigma if the bokeh is as good as it seems.

Any views from Sigma owners are welcome! How did Sigma manage to do this? I've always been under the impression they were behind Nikon in terms of Lens development.

Most reactions

Back