Should I upgrade? or should I wait?

Ryvax

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently have a Nikon D60. I'm at the point now that I shoot in Manual all the time and the lack of 2 control wheels is getting annoying. Should I spend the extra cash and upgrade to the D90? Or should I wait till Nikon comes out with something that takes better HD video? I just don't want to spend the extra money, and then have something better come out in less than a year. Opinions? Should I wait it out?

hmm so based on the lacking 2 control wheels on your d60 you are going to upgrade to a d90?

If your serious about your photography then you should keep your D60, use it for another 6 months and buy a D3 when you have the money. Or something cheaper and nice glass.

hmm so based on the lacking 2 control wheels on your d60 you are going to upgrade to a d90?

That and the 11 point AF. And the video. And the autofocus motor or whatever for lenses without a built in motor. But yea. I could spend the money on a speedlight and a prime lens instead and keep using what I have. Not sure what I want to do.

Im not sure we can answer this question for you. You know the reasons for your upgrade. If your D60 is missing features you want i say go for it. As for waiting on Nikon to release something better, im not with that. I mean there will always be something better, there will always be something new rumored to be released.

Whats the most you want to spend for a body? Would the money you spend be better spent on a better Lens? What lenses do you already own?

I have a D60 and a D90.

I don't find the D60 any slower for setting the aperture since all you have to do is hold down a button while you move the command wheel, instead of not holding down a button while you move the command wheel to set the shutter speed. Most people can't move 2 command wheels at the same time. So you're still using just 1 wheel at a time on the D90.

But, if you need an excuse for upgrading, any difference between the 2 will work. I think you should use the fact that a D60 can't do auto bracketing myself. :lol:

If your serious about your photography then you should keep your D60, use it for another 6 months and buy a D3 when you have the money. Or something cheaper and nice glass.

wow...ok, the D60~$550...D90~$900-$1000

D3=$4,000-$5,000.

Seriously, these are not even in similar leagues.

Upgrade!

:D

There's always going to be something newer and better coming out... life is too short, get what you want - the D90 is a dang nice camera and is leaps and bounds better than the D60 - you'll be happy.

I say this only because it's what I did - so I'll recommend it, only I took the long road.
D40 - D80 - D200 - D90

The D90's video (to me) is great, plus the low light (high ISO) performance rocks. Not to mention the GPS port for automatically geotagging my photos, I love that feature.

It's so much more of a difference than 2 controls wheels, you get the ability to control off camera flash, auto focus older lenses, more direct control to commonly used features, Live View, ability to save multiple white balance settings, the list goes on.

Placed my order today! I have someone coming to look at my d60 on sunday, hope they buy it, lol.

No one goes from a D60 to a D3...

Placed my order today! I have someone coming to look at my d60 on sunday, hope they buy it, lol.

I got $500 for my D60 kit (Only paid $536 for it new) from someone on Craigslist. Mine was only 2 months old though, so you may get less.

Yea, I'm hoping to get 500 for mine as well. They are 579 canadian new. I have a few extras I'm throwing in with it, spare battery, camera armor, uv filter for the lens. I think I'll get close to what I want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back