Should I Watermark My Photos.

Raw photographer

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last edited:
This is so that someone doesn't take your work and profit off of it.
Its intellectual property when created and openly sharing the image without a watermark basically says.. come take me...

In the US and other nations, Intellectual Property is typically covered under copy write law, the watermark simply sends the message.. this is MY image.

A registered watermark pushes and enhances the force of law behind it.
Watermarking and Copyrighting Your Photographs - Steve's Digicams

It's entirely up to you. There are two reasons to watermark images. (1) For attribution/credit; or (2) protection. If you want to simply ensure that people know you created a given image, that's great, put your watermark in a reasonably unobtrusive location. If you feel that your images need protection, than your watermark has to be such that it's more work than it's worth to remove it. I use "PROOF" as a text layer at 25% opacity 1/3 the height of the image across the middle of the image. In the digital era, watermarks aren't terribly useful; they can always be removed.

Its intellectual property when created and openly sharing the image without a watermark basically says.. come take me...

In the US and other nations, Intellectual Property is typically covered under copy write law, the watermark simply sends the message.. this is MY image.

A couple of points - you don't NEED a watermark to indicate copyright; copyright is inherent in the IP at the moment of creation. It exists as soon as the work does. In Canada we don't have a registration process analogous to that in the US, and while our laws are very similar, there are some distinct differences. Chief among them is that the concept of moral rights is clearly defined in Canada and can be retained or controlled separate from legal rights. What this means is that I can give you the legal rights to my image but retain the moral ones. You can then use the image, but not in a way which might be detrimental to me. That's rather over-simplifying, it, but you get the point.

A couple of points - you don't NEED a watermark to indicate copyright; copyright is inherent in the IP at the moment of creation. It exists as soon as the work does. In Canada we don't have a registration process analogous to that in the US, and while our laws are very similar, there are some distinct differences. Chief among them is that the concept of moral rights is clearly defined in Canada and can be retained or controlled separate from legal rights. What this means is that I can give you the legal rights to my image but retain the moral ones. You can then use the image, but not in a way which might be detrimental to me. That's rather over-simplifying, it, but you get the point.
No one does not need a watermark. But when shown or imbedded, the force of law comes into effect.

Watermarks are simply a forgery protection effect. Akin to putting a padlock on a barn.

It wont stop a determined thief, but it does show intent.

I know the great white north has many similar aspects as us Yankees, ( icon_cool )with copywrite, but as of late and especially in the US the theft of copywrite has become prevalent.
Additionally the EU and their myriad of laws have also created a nasty web of online intrigue.

I am glad DC is running this here rather than Brussels, but that another story.

IMO the watermark is simply another way to show that you intend to protect your work and that those who do infringe are on notice that if they take it, be ready to be sued.

Addendum:

On the website I am creating to show off work, the host automatically puts up a copywrite and symbol next to the name i chose.
I did a quick search in the US Copywrite and Trademark and so far no infringement.
Though registering it wouldn't be a bad idea.

For me, there are some works that I simply like to share and say.. here ya go..

But others I protect for obvious reasons.

Water mark .. I agree with post 6 on the images I display I use an imboss logo also known as company seal in the bottom r corner
Mine has my name, copyright all rights withheld then limited edition or display in the form of a rundel
On the back of the photo I have a sticker with the copyright info and that the photo is on loan to the cafe where it was on display.
The sticker ca not be removed without damaging the pic

Most reactions

Back