Shutter Speed Question

Stratocaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey.

After recently purchasing a Hoya ND400 (awesome), I've been playing around with long exposure times. Now, I'm using a Canon EOS 350D, and I was wondering if there was any way of reducing the shutter speed to a value past 30 seconds?
I'm sure you'll know that if you try to go for a longer time, it will display the message 'bulb'. What does this mean exactly?

Any help is appreciated. ;)

the bulb function is so you can manually set the shutter speed by holding down the shutter button

you use it for anything over 30 seconds on your camera. use a wired shutter release for this so you dont get the camera shake while you are holding the button down.

It means your camera won't count past 30 seconds, so it lets you to time it externally. As long as you keep the shutter button down, it will keep the shutter open. When you let go of the button, the shutter closes.

Yep! I shoot lightning for stock . I wouldn't even bother if my camera didn't have a bulb setting!

Hey.

After recently purchasing a Hoya ND400 (awesome), I've been playing around with long exposure times. Now, I'm using a Canon EOS 350D, and I was wondering if there was any way of reducing the shutter speed to a value past 30 seconds?
I'm sure you'll know that if you try to go for a longer time, it will display the message 'bulb'. What does this mean exactly?

Any help is appreciated. ;)

The question has already been answered but I figured that I'd add a bit of history. The setting goes back probably a hundred years when it was not possible to synchronize the flashbulb to the shutter opening. Consequently, the photographer had to open the shutter, manually fire the flashbulb and then close the shutter. Hence "bulb."

Somehow I totally messed up my understanding of the "bulb" setting for shutter speed. It's good to know that it can be open for longer then 30 seconds.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the help guys. It's appreciated. ;)

The question has already been answered but I figured that I'd add a bit of history. The setting goes back probably a hundred years when it was not possible to synchronize the flashbulb to the shutter opening. Consequently, the photographer had to open the shutter, manually fire the flashbulb and then close the shutter. Hence "bulb."

You mean it's not because they had a rubber tube, with a BULB on the end, and squeezed the bulb, which would hold the shutter open? I always thought that's what it meant? Hmmmm?

T is for Time, in which case, you would push the shutter release and it would stay open, until you pushed it again.

Both have the same effect, just two different ways to get there.

You mean it's not because they had a rubber tube, with a BULB on the end, and squeezed the bulb, which would hold the shutter open? I always thought that's what it meant? Hmmmm?

T is for Time, in which case, you would push the shutter release and it would stay open, until you pushed it again.

Now you've got me wondering. I honestly don't know. You may well be correct.

You mean it's not because they had a rubber tube, with a BULB on the end, and squeezed the bulb, which would hold the shutter open? I always thought that's what it meant?

So did I. I thought that the 'bulb' setting predated the invention of the flash bulb.

Best,
Helen

It does. Many medium and large format cameras were equipped with a 'bulb' and tube to keep the shutter open.

It appears that I stand corrected.

It appears that I stand corrected.

Nag, Nag, Nag! :lmao:

It's easy to think that Bulb meant Flash Bulb, but since I have some old cameras, with the tube and bulb, it connected. Just wanted to keep the answer on the right path.

god i wish my 20D had a T setting.
I think Canon should put a new "C" setting in their DSLRs. Where you can program in Hours, Minutes, Seconds you want your shutter open for for really long exposures, and then just hit the shutter button and let the timer start. I think its a good idea.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back