Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3

That is true, but is it even really in the same league as the tamzooka? We are talking about a price difference comparable to the 50 1.4g & 58 1.4g.

Petapixel says that compared to the Tamron, the new Sigma is a ,"slightly more professional grade version." and they speculate that the new Sigma will offer higher weight, and higher image quality.
Derrel, maybe you or someone else can enlighten me on what Diffraction MTF vs Geometrical MTF means? My guess is a marginal increase in sharpness over the Tamron at 50% more weight and 70% more $$$. Not sure who the market will be unless it is uber sharp. Also strange they went with a 105MM front element. Guessing it will have a 10% more light transmission wide open? It seems like it should be a F5.6 at the long end (600/105 = roughly 5.7) maybe it was a touch too high to claim 5.6?

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums...dschirmfoto2014-09-05um113734_zpsa1dd6034.png
vs
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums...dschirmfoto2014-09-05um113746_zps64057c8f.png

Sigma tends to favour larger elements from what I've seen. A good few of their lenses have a much larger front element than their competition; it might be a design choice or a reflection of their lens technology and design approach.

My expectation is that they want their lens to be sharper and better than the Tamron so it exists as a natural upgrade to it in the market. Of course launch price is likely going to be inflated so we'll want to wait a month or two to see the price settle to its more normal market value.

Sigma tends to favour larger elements from what I've seen. A good few of their lenses have a much larger front element than their competition; it might be a design choice or a reflection of their lens technology and design approach.

My expectation is that they want their lens to be sharper and better than the Tamron so it exists as a natural upgrade to it in the market. Of course launch price is likely going to be inflated so we'll want to wait a month or two to see the price settle to its more normal market value.

The corners of the lens are usually the softest. Do they make the elements slightly larger to get more of the center in the picture? Kind of like full frame lenses on crop sensors?

Most reactions

Back