Sigma 150-600mm lens for Nikon and D7200 Camera dropped in water

mark2011

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wanted to reach out here and see if anyone has had an accident with their camera or lens by dropping it in water? I was fishing today and went to take some photos and my Nikon D7200 and my 150-600mm Sigma lens dropped into the lake. I was able to grab it out of the water fast but it still was submerged briefly. I just got this new lens 5 weeks ago. The only solution I find is soaking it in rice and hope for the best. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Mark

Yep, put the camera and lens in separate ziplock bags along with a couple of cups of uncooked long grain white rice in each bag.
Put the camera in the bag on it's rear LCD, leave the battery door open and the lens mount cover off and the lens mount facing up.
I would leave the front and rear lens covers off.
In 48 hours change the rice and let set for another 48 to 72 hours hours.

Water causes damage in two key ways.
The first is direct water contact*, which can cause all manner of issues. Fully drying out the unit can resolve direct water damage provided that you didn't run the unit (ergo electric running) whilst it was wet. Putting the camera in the bag with uncooked rice can resolve this because it should soak up all the moisture.

The other is through minerals within the water, which can be left as deposits on surfaces within the camera once the water has dried off.
This is why fully drying out a unit can still result in problems and also why some ways to resolve water immersion involve washing the unit (with batteries out including the little lithium battery not just the camera battery) with distilled water, which has no mineral content.

If it was only in a small amount of time you might be ok; the rice bag solution should work. If not then it might be time to seek a repairshop. Note I'd test the camera with a different lens first to make sure that any error can be identified as being within the lens and/or with the camera body itself.

*ok so really its the mineral content within the water

Just want to add: do NOT TURN THE CAMERA ON for a few days!!!! Do the rice desiccation, but do NOT install the battery and do NOT turn the camera on until you're good and sure the moisture has all been wicked away. As per KmH's suggestions above, this means not turning the camera on for five or even six days!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back