Sigma 18-50 MM f/2.8

dtzitko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
Has anybody used this lens before? I'm shopping around for a new one, and I came across this. I was going to rent it and play around with it and see, but I'm just curious if anybody has used it. Opinions? Good or bad buy?

Also, it says it's a macro lens, but I assume that means it is just well suited for macro and it's not limited to macro only photography.

Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Sigma 18-50

I'm also considering an Olympus 18-180 MM. Any opinions on it?

Four Thirds | Four Thirds | Olympus 18-180

This will be my first lens I purchase (I only have the kit lens), so if you know of any other good lenses in this price range that would be better than these, I'd appreciate an input. Which one do you think is better?

Thanks

I used the 18-50 for about 6 months before the zoom locked up. Literally quick working between two shots during a volleyball game. So build quality is pretty bad. Also has some of the worst chromatic aberration and flare of any lens I have ever used.

There are definitely some quality control issues with Sigma, no doubt. I was lucky, and got a good copy. In fact, mine is excellent. I love, love, love this lens. I think it has better IQ than the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 which goes for $1200-$1500.

Couple of sample shots:

4154815176_49fb223f93.jpg

3932370782_92272b2edf.jpg

I own the Nikon version of this lens and it is damn sharp wide open at 2.8. I will admit that I got a good copy given Sigma's shotty QC, however if you do get a bad copy, contacting BH or Adorama or whoever, within a short time frame after getting the lens should end up with a new lens in your hands.

As for the Macro part, yes it can do macro, but primarily the lens is not meant for macro. However it does quite a good job for being a non macro lens in macro photography.

As for the Macro part, yes it can do macro, but primarily the lens is not meant for macro. However it does quite a good job for being a non macro lens in macro photography.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure.

or you could wait for their new 17-50 2.8 that should be out soon.

I have the Nikon version of this lens as well, the 18-50mm f/2.8 HSM Macro. It's an excellent lens, very sharp even at f/2.8. It's not a real macro lens, but it focuses very close, like within an inch or so of the front element. I think it's a 1:3 macro.

Yea you could wait for the 17-50. It has their version of VR, called Optical Stabilization (OS), but it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than the 18-50. Amazon has it available for pre-order for $669 USD, which is $250 more than the 18-50. VR/OS isn't that useful with wide angles anyway.

Skip the VR. Not worth it at all on this lens. If you get a good copy this lens is tack sharp wide open and will not disappoint. I say go for it!

Also, it says it's a macro lens, but I assume that means it is just well suited for macro and it's not limited to macro only photography.

Any responses to this question?

The "MACRO" on those zoom lens usually means the lens is able to do close focusing. In other words, you are still able to focus correctly when the lens front element is close to the subject.

However, it is different from a dedicated Macro lens. Normal macro lens can do 1 to 1 ratio, but the zoom lens that has the macro marking usually has a higher ratio such as 1:2 or higher.

At this point, Sigma has 2 version of the lens. The newer one with HSM is better optically (from what I read). However, it is only available on Nikon mount. If you are using non-Nikon camera, you may need to go with the non-HSM version and it is not as good.

18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
Corresponding mount: Sigma, Canon, Sony/Minolta, Pentax J, FourThirds

18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro HSM - Standard Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com
Corresponding mount: Nikon

Skip the VR. Not worth it at all on this lens. If you get a good copy this lens is tack sharp wide open and will not disappoint. I say go for it!

Yea, I'm continuing to lean that way, and with a price tag of around $450, it's pretty tempting. Especially to have it by mid-May, when I leave for Europe. Decisions decisions.

Also, thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate them.

I have this lens and love it. Note that I shoot Nikon and have the latest HSM version, which I have also heard is much improved in the QC area.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back