What's new

Sigma 50mm

mom2eight

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 8, 2010
Messages
455
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone own the sigma 50mm F/1.4? I'd love to see some portraits taken with this lens and get first hand advice on how you like it.
:thumbdown::thumbup::confused:
 
I haven't used it, but I hear it's great. Except that it's huge compared to a Canon/Nikon 50mm lens.
 
Huge meaning wider? Or just heavy?
 
Too bad JerryPH is no longer here, he was a big proponent of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. I think he still answers PMs, maybe ask him about it. I've heard it's great also, better than the Nikon/Canon, but it's like $500 and much bigger like Mike said. It takes a 77mm filter. My Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-D takes a 52mm!

If I didn't already own the Nikon, I'd seriously consider it.

Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM (Canon) - Review / Test Report
 
I've owned both the Sigma and Nikon versions. I went through 3 copies of the Sigma before I gave up and just decided that it wasn't as good as the Nikon. Since everyone thought it was so great I thought I was getting bad copies. I honestly thought the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 was better at 50mm than the 50mm f/1.4 @f/2.8
 
I would own one if you didn't have to try 10 copies (slight exageration) to get a good one. Once you have a good one, it easily beats its Nikon counter part. If you don't mind the hassle of testing, returning, testing, returning, then its worth it to get it. It has fantastic background blur, and its also sharp with little C/A. Its truely a great lens. I have tried one and am very tempted to get one myself.

The 77mm filter is a good thing. A great majority of the pro grade lenses are 77mm.
 
From what I have heard of this lens the sigma is indeed the better performer - however often people quote it as being a heavy lens as well as make comments regarding its larger front element in comparison to the nikon and canon offerings.

However in all honesty the weight is not that unusable and the only problem with the larger front element is that it requires a larger filter size.

The only real problem is the quality control issuse - something that sigma does sadly appear to have a problem with. Personally I would say send the lens back under warrenty and have it refocused if you get a soft copy. The ideal is to send your camera along and have the whole setup calibrated (that is lens calibrated perfectly for your camera body) however that means no camera for some time
 
From what I have heard of this lens the sigma is indeed the better performer - however often people quote it as being a heavy lens as well as make comments regarding its larger front element in comparison to the nikon and canon offerings.

However in all honesty the weight is not that unusable and the only problem with the larger front element is that it requires a larger filter size.

The only real problem is the quality control issuse - something that sigma does sadly appear to have a problem with. Personally I would say send the lens back under warrenty and have it refocused if you get a soft copy. The ideal is to send your camera along and have the whole setup calibrated (that is lens calibrated perfectly for your camera body) however that means no camera for some time


True, but Sigma is that last place I would send my camera body. LOL
 
I think they deal mostly with local companies rather than having to send your gear all the way to sigma HQ (Japan). Of course one would have to research calibration well to make sure it is the right choice. I have to say I have not read of many actually using the service 0 even from canon or nikon.
 
I could just imagine a Sigma service guy rootin' around in a camera body with a stick tweaking stuff.......:lol:
 
heh I think though they don't actually change anything on the camera - you supply that because each camera will have slight manufacture differences (within tollerance zones) and so to properly calibrate the lens they need the camera to work with those tollerance zones - otherwise they can only calibrate to their factory standard (which might not be the best for "your" camera)
 
Too bad JerryPH is no longer here, he was a big proponent of the Sigma 50mm f/1.4. I think he still answers PMs, maybe ask him about it. I've heard it's great also, better than the Nikon/Canon, but it's like $500 and much bigger like Mike said. It takes a 77mm filter. My Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-D takes a 52mm!

If I didn't already own the Nikon, I'd seriously consider it.

Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM (Canon) - Review / Test Report

Judging by his sig:

I've left for greener pastures. Please don't PM me (no joke!).
I don't think so
 
Thanks for all the advice. It does look way bigger. What I'm really looking for is a really good portrait lens. Something with sharp focus and larger aperture. It is a costly lens so I have to decide if its worth it to spend the extra.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom