What's new

Sigma 8-16mm vs Nikon 10-24mm

nmsnapshots

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
Bernalillo, NM
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am planning on getting an ultra wide angle lens for landscape photography. The more I look, the more confused I get...

I've been lookng at the Sigma 8-16mm and the Nikon 10-24mm lenses...

Any thoughts on these lenses?

Thanks!
 
Hey.

Sigma 8-16 has 114.5 vs nikon's 109 angle of view.
Sigma 8-16 has 15 elements in 11 groups vs Nikon's 14 elements in 9 groups
Sigma 8-16 has Distortion 2.87% vs Nikon's 3.1%
Sigma 8-16 is cheaper (around 170$)

i think the build quality of the sigma lens 8-16 is really good.

good luck!
 
Nikon is deffinetly a better lens but cost alot more.

You should Have a look at the tokina 12-24 F4.

I was not disapointed.

Here a shot.

5574900149_8dbea4b4d0_b.jpg
 
Hey.

Sigma 8-16 has 114.5 vs nikon's 109 angle of view.
Sigma 8-16 has 15 elements in 11 groups vs Nikon's 14 elements in 9 groups
Sigma 8-16 has Distortion 2.87% vs Nikon's 3.1%
Sigma 8-16 is cheaper (around 170$)

i think the build quality of the sigma lens 8-16 is really good.

good luck!

CA is also a major issue for UWAs - not sure who does better in that regard between theses or other options or nikon.

A consideration with the distortion; if it is moustache distortion it is much harder to correct than pure barrel so just a percent number isn't a complete picture for how to compare these.
 
Just saw the original post date for this thread; and OPs signature.

This one is done and dusted. Close it however that happens...
 
I was wondering why the OP was asking about two lenses when one was listed in his sig.
emoticon_test_by_vampire_meme.gif
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom