Sigma HSM 30mm f/1.4

Kawi_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Considering buying this lens for use on my d40x. I've read about how good it is in low light, how sharp it is, and it autofocuses on my d40x. I've read a lot of people say how great this lens is but I've also read about a lot of people having problems. mainly with it not focusing correctly. I'm interested if anyone here would encourage or discourage me from buying it. Also, would you try to buy a used one and save a little (roughly $100) or just shell out the full amount and buy new. Thanks.
T

I'd go for the new one. If there's people complaining about problems...don't you think the used ones would be the ones sent back? lol.

Ok but seriously...I'd go for it. There was issues with a lens I bought not focusing properly...but my copy is perfect, and I couldn't be happier. Go for it. Plus, if it's not right...they can fix it for you.

I've got one and it's great.

Because it's got such a wide aperture, the DOF can be very shallow...which is probably what leads people to say that it has focus problems.

I have a D40X and this lens and I am very happy with it. Mine did not have to go back for repairs, but I wonder about many that have D40 or X that the three focus areas and there accuracy might play some role in people saying it front or rear focuses. Mine works fine.

I wish I could try one of these in person. I don't need one, so I am not going to buy one, and I only like to comment on lenses that I have owned or used. It sure LOOKS like nice glass, and people say good things about it.

Sigma has very spotty build quality (that I can attest to), so I am always uneasy about buying one of their lenses... I do own two right now, one of which I am going to send in because it is not very sharp. My 50-500 is excellent though (for what it is).

The lens feels nice and well built, but I only have the two kit lens to compare so don't go by me, but I feel I got my money's worth out of it. I really missed not having a 50mm lens like my AE-1 Program so this really fills that void, since getting it for Christmas I have not got to shoot outside with it much, just card night under fluorescent light and a higher ISO, which to my untrained eye looks quite yellow but I shoot in RAW and was able to correct white balance, but if I shoot jpg I wonder. The lens is big for a prime, but f/1.4 and HSM I guess that is normal, I think anyone who wants a fast prime for a D40 or X (due to HSM Autofocus) this is a lens to look at, other wise the 50mm probably would be better bang for the buck. Just my thoughts.

I'm was thinking of getting the Nikon 35/2.0 lens... Anyone who can tell me why I should get the Sigma 30/1.4 instead?

I'm thinking of using it as a walk around (some people like to walk around with the 18-200), but found my 50mm to be to tight.

I'm thinking of using it as a walk around (some people like to walk around with the 18-200), but found my 50mm to be to tight.
I used to love a 50mm on my film camera, but I also found it too tight on my digital. The 30mm is much more to my liking.

On another note, this weekend I tested this lens with a focus chart, and it back focused a little bit. I'm not sure what the tolerance is for focus...but I may have to do some further testing to see if I should send it in. I also want to test it on my other camera, to see if the results are the same.

I use the Sigma 30 mm on my D40x. It back-focused consistently when I got it, and Sigma offered to adjust it. I'm still slightly baffled about why that was a lens problem and not a body problem, but there it is.

Best,
Helen

I have one, and it is ever so slightly off. If I had not done the focus test, it would be impossible to know in real life usage.

I like it, it's sharp, heavy for a 30mm and it has one idiosyncracy... lights in the background blurred by bokeh are NOT round, but heart shapped.

Strange, but not unpleasant.

1922999768_d927335d47.jpg

1936070377_b6a7db9cdd.jpg

I'd not really recommend it as a walk-around lens... very limiting, it *is* a prime after all, but I do use it for many things.

I'm was thinking of getting the Nikon 35/2.0 lens... Anyone who can tell me why I should get the Sigma 30/1.4 instead?

Yes... lol

- That +5mm on a cropped sensor is nice. Anything that gives me more in a frame at that mm range helps.
- There is a huge difference in bokeh between a F/2 lens and an F/1.4.
- Price difference. You get more for your money with the Sigma in this case.

the sigma will have AF, the Nikkor won't.

I use mine quite a bit for a walk around lens indoor and out. I love it.

Its a great lens for the money. Don't expect it to do magic for you or cook you breakfast. You still have to take the pictures yourself.

i have this lens and think its great. haven't had any focus issues with it. as a matter of fact, i liked it so much i retired the 50mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back