Sigma introduces world's ugliest mirrorless

Not just that, but the specs look so unimpressive...this must be priced around, what, $250? $300? If it's above that, I can't see anyone choosing this over the Nikon d3300. Then again, I don't know anything about old Sigma cameras. Maybe they had some redeeming qualities?

At least we know now why they're releasing a bunch of APS-C lenses. Hopefully they keep at it, because that's good news for APS-C users.

Just wait to they come out with there Cinco model..:345: there going to fly off the shelf.

Not just that, but the specs look so unimpressive...this must be priced around, what, $250? $300?

If it's above that, I can't see anyone choosing this over the Nikon d3300. Then again, I don't know anything about old Sigma cameras. Maybe they had some redeeming qualities?

Well. Foveon is a really nice sensor, actually. It works by layering three translucent color-sensitive arrays on top of one another resulting in good color and hilight rendering at the expense of low light performance and file size. Foveon cameras also tend to be very expensive, so no, this will certainly not be cheap!

I am unsure if they're still doing it or not, but previously they'd specify a camera as having, say, 30mp but what they really meant was that there was three 10mp sensors in the foveon stack.

This isn't all THAT misleading compared to a traditional bayer array, except that in a bayer array the pixels are offset and this permits some interpolation to yield back (most) of the resolution. With a foveon stack, you don't have that benefit - all RGB pixels occupy the same space and thus do not record anything unique about the scene aside from color.

So this results in a smaller file size. Advocates claim that the smaller file size has better resolution (doubtful) and better color.

If this is how they are specifying the camera, though, a 45mp foveon stack producing 15mp files could be pretty interesting, though I am pretty certain it will cost a fortune.

I don't know. I don't think it's any uglier than any other camera. They're all just small black boxes with a lens in some form or other.

WHOW !!!!

And here I thought the Quattro compacts would be awful.

Obviously there are people at Sigma on the project of making the most ugly and disfunctional camera possible.

And they've really impressed me. Seriously, the EVF placement makes sure one cant hold this camera comfortably. What the hell have they been thinking.

I don't know. I don't think it's any uglier than any other camera. They're all just small black boxes with a lens in some form or other.
Its very obvious, but since you apparently missed it: the extra disfunctional feature of this camera is that you will have a hard time to (a) hold the camera and (b) watch through the EVF, because the EVF is right next to the grip for the hands. Basically your thumb will be in your face a lot.

And THAT is pure ugly.

The form otherwise is stupid, too. Where there should be an as large as possible space for the battery, they recessed the camera instead. Ugh.

Does anybody recall the ridicule, jokes, and controversy surrounding the Sigma SD1 digital SLR, which had an actual retail price close to $10,000 US at launch? It was ridiculed around the world. It was re-named the SD1 Merrill some time later..and today the B&W price is $1,899.

Sigma SD1 Merrill DSLR Camera (Body Only) C26900 B&H Photo Video

While this thing might not be the best-looking, it probably has good image quality--but the Sigma SA lens mount is the kiss of death. If it had a lens mount with a REAL following, like Canon EF or Nikon F, it would at least stand a chance of selling some units.

Its very obvious, but since you apparently missed it: the extra disfunctional feature of this camera is that you will have a hard time to (a) hold the camera and (b) watch through the EVF, because the EVF is right next to the grip for the hands. Basically your thumb will be in your face a lot.

And THAT is pure ugly.

The form otherwise is stupid, too. Where there should be an as large as possible space for the battery, they recessed the camera instead. Ugh.

Cool man. Whatever you say.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back